Does Shop Bought DIY Hair Dye Damage your hair more than Hairdresser ones?

Hi all

I have been wondering about this for ages and as MSErs are SO helpful & knowledgeable I thought maybe someone could give me an answer? :D

Basically I have been dying my hair to cover my grey roots for a couple of years and always feel a bit guilty that I'm damaging my hair-although it does seem ok? I used to get highlights which cost £50-70 in the hairdressers that I be-grudgingly paid for as I couldn't do it like that myself!! :eek: But feel that I could never fork out £50 for an all over colour when I can do one for £7? :o

Are there any "insiders" that work in the hairdressing industry that know about these things? Are the "ingredients" the same? Do shop bought ones do anymore damage to your hair? And is it ok to just keep dying it all over with another colour every 3 months?

Also what brands do people find are the best DIY ones for applying and to give a nice glossy shiny finish that lasts?

Big Thanks in Advance! :T

Comments

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Err... and can I add to that question by asking what SEMI-PERMANENT home colourants are particularly good, particularly for covering grey (I'm about 20% grey, but it's at the front where it shows!)
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • all hair dyes are damaging to hair
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    My daughters in her 2nd year training to be a hairdresser, shes upstairs doing her friends hair tonight, I just shouted up to her your question and she said yes, shop dye is more damaging than salon dye which is much better quality. Sorry, didnt get any more info out of her as shes busy chatting !
    sue
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been colouring my hair at home for years, and my hairdresser says DIY colouring is no worse than salon provided its the same/darker/warmer tone to your natural colour. Lightening (bleaching) is a different matter and always best done professionally.
  • Hi
    i have been using shop bought dye for about 10 years and my hair has been most colours, i cant say my hair has been damaged by it at all [maybe my hair is a little more resiliant]
    I use fructus and loreal which both do a very good job[ i have a lot of grey]
    although the red colour does fade very quickly but i found this to be true even of highlights done in the salon.
    My personal opinion is that i would rather pay £5.99 every six weeks instead of £60-£80.
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone for your feedback - think I will go into boots and study the various brands I'm thinking of going a more "chocolatey" brown this time!
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have been home colouring for several years now and my hair is in very good condition. However, I have a short crop which means that I do not get any colour build-up on my hair as it is cut every five weeks. If my hair was longer I would be more reluctant to DIY.

The same stylist has been doing my hair for many years and she is quite happy that I home colour as she can see that I can do a good job myself. I currently use Nice 'n' Easy 117A, natural medium ash brown. This gives a nice darkish glossy finish and lasts well. If only I did not get that line of white at the roots.......................
  • Fag_ash_lil
    Fag_ash_lil Posts: 5,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi ,

I would imagine that the " ingredients would be the same for a home dye and a shop dye .

The only difference that i can see , is how it is put onto your hair . When i have had mine done at a hairdressers for example, they normally put the dye on your roots first and then say 10 mins later paste it onto the rest of your hair ....

But at home to do it properly it's alot of " faffing " around .... Does anyone actually manage to " coat " just their roots for the first 10 mins ??
    .... Perhaps it's just me, that can't manage this :rolleyes: ..

Basically i just use the L'oreal excellence dye ( straight onto dry hair ) , mix 2 little containers together, put the dye on my parting first and then just " slap it all over " :rotfl: .....

I've dyed my hair for a good few years now , and have always done it this way . I do use conditioner every time i wash it ... to stop it drying out ... and maybe a deep conditioning treatment every month or so ...

If you do decide to dye it yourself ... don't forget to do a strand text first ( i think it's 24 hours ahead .... if i remember correctly ) ... not only to check the colour but to make sure that you have no allergies to the dye ....

In answer to your question ... " can you keep dyeing it all over with another colour every 3 months " ... do you mean changing the colour every 3 months or just re dyeing it ?

Anyway good luck and happy dyeing !!

terri x
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    catlou wrote: »
    Basically I have been dying my hair to cover my grey roots for a couple of years and always feel a bit guilty that I'm damaging my hair-although it does seem ok? I used to get highlights which cost £50-70 in the hairdressers that I be-grudgingly paid for as I couldn't do it like that myself!! :eek: But feel that I could never fork out £50 for an all over colour when I can do one for £7? :o

Totally agree & I spend a fair bit on make up & nails & beauty treats.

When i had mine dyed blonde I always got it done at the salon (every 6 weeks), but my scalp got too sensitive & the combination of GHDs & hi lift tints was starting to damage my hair so I went back to my natural colour (well what my colour was before the few greys started appearing:o ).

I also can't bring myself to spend £50 extra for a colour, my daughter will put in for me that costs £5:rolleyes:
    I've tried loads, but DD & I agree Nice'n'easy is about the best to use, I use 114 natural light ash brown (I think).
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I regularly dye my hair at home as I have a lot of grey, and I do worry about ammonia in hair dyes, which I read recently is carcenogenic. I've since switched to Castings Creme Gloss which is ammonia free. There's another one called 'herbatint' which you can buy in Holland & Barrett, but it's quite pricey.

As far as I know salons use ammonia in their dyes- so perhaps another reason to choose DIY so you can use an ammonia-free one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure