financial hardship

Options
I have a claim for bank charges in court awaiting test case result.Have claimed financial hardship with Halifax in the meantime.I am already on a payment plan with the Consumer Credit Counselling Service so sent a copy of my budget to Halifax as proof.Halifax has offered about a quarter of my original claim.This took about 3-4 weeks.They have paid it into my bank account.However, the letter they sent me said the amount was IN FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT.As a result, although I really need the money I do not want to touch it in case I don't get the rest when the test case is settled.Halifax say this is just standard wording on their letter.What do I do? This is a difference of over £3000 so it's not easy to accept the smaller amount

Comments

• Laurnicky
    Options
    Hi, i'm looking for some advice on the next steps to take. I started reclaiming my charges last year and then the high court test case was started nd they suspended all claims. I then heard about hardship claims, followed up the information on the website and sent back my means test form to the bank of scotland who owe me £2800+. I have recently bought a house with my girlfriend who has since moved out, leaving all the costs with me, and its leaving me with -£200 per month. The problem being i have fallen behind with credit card and loan repayments and have two bank accounts which thy cancelled the overdrafts on and are demanding the money straight away. I cannot pay though. I dont know what to do next, they phone me 15-20 times a day to demand money and I just don't have it....
  • pureaswhite
    Options
    Hi,

I have just reclaimed over £2500 from the Halifax. £2000 from Halifax current account and £500 from credit card with HBOS.

The first letter they sent they offered my the full amount of charges from my current account without the interest I claimed. It was only £300 difference so I accepted.

I have just tried to claim £2500 back from HSBC also. They have rejected claim and have cancelled my overdraft demanding £2000 off me. I have sent them a statment of affairs showing my hardship and they are reviewing my complaint.

HBOS on the otherhand came back with a cheeky offer of £100 against £500 I claimed they owed me from Credit card charges. I sent a letter back threatening court action and rejecting offer and they came back with an offer of the full amount.

I know this is a slightly different situation to you but my advice would be not to give up and write to them again claiming the full amount. Not sure if the fact that you already accepted an amount will affect it but you can only try.

Laurnicky, I would also definately seek advice from a professional free advice service such as Citizens Advice. Also, ring your bank explaining that you cannot afford the repayments and as with HSBC they will ask you to complete an affordability form showing your income and outgoings and will come up with a payment plan that you can afford. Don't worry so much about it but make sure to get some advice from a Debt Counselling service.

Good Luck
  • catmiaow
    catmiaow Posts: 5,954 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I have just reclaimed over £2500 from the Halifax. £2000 from Halifax current account and £500 from credit card with HBOS.

The first letter they sent they offered my the full amount of charges from my current account without the interest I claimed. It was only £300 difference so I accepted.

I have just tried to claim £2500 back from HSBC also. They have rejected claim and have cancelled my overdraft demanding £2000 off me. I have sent them a statment of affairs showing my hardship and they are reviewing my complaint.

HBOS on the otherhand came back with a cheeky offer of £100 against £500 I claimed they owed me from Credit card charges. I sent a letter back threatening court action and rejecting offer and they came back with an offer of the full amount.

I know this is a slightly different situation to you but my advice would be not to give up and write to them again claiming the full amount. Not sure if the fact that you already accepted an amount will affect it but you can only try.

Laurnicky, I would also definately seek advice from a professional free advice service such as Citizens Advice. Also, ring your bank explaining that you cannot afford the repayments and as with HSBC they will ask you to complete an affordability form showing your income and outgoings and will come up with a payment plan that you can afford. Don't worry so much about it but make sure to get some advice from a Debt Counselling service.

Good Luck

How did u get on with Halifax as i claimed nearly 7 weeks ago via hardship and have heard nothing, they definitely got my forms as i called them, called them several times since and its always a waste of time. any ideas? Thanks
    No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one! :mad:

Thanks to everyone who posts competitions. You are the stars of the board :T:j:T
  • pureaswhite
    Options
    Hi Cat,

I think the whole process with Halifax took less than 7 weeks. Did you use the template letters with a dealine date on them? They did not come back with an answer in the two weeks that I gave them but they did send an acknowledgement letter to tell me that they were dealing with my complaint.

Good Luck
  • grouperbobby_2
    Options
    I also have a claim with the Halifax which they aren't acknowledging. When I originally sent my letter about financial difficulties to them I received a letter stating they didn't think I was in difficulties (even though they keep bouncing my motgage payments) and sent me a means form which I completed and sent back to them with letters from my mortgage company and proof of other debts. That was 3 weeks ago and I've heard nothing from them. Do I just wait for their decision?? I haven't had confirmation that they even agree that I am in financial difficulty let alone the money. I need to get this money quickly to pay off some arrears which are crippling me. By the time my mortgage payment is due I don't have enough left because of the payments for arrears etc. Anybody got any ideas?:confused:
  • layloo
    Options
    Can anyone please help me, I put my claim in last year and was told everything was on hold. But I have just lost my job, and Im finding things very difficult, I was told I could move my claim along by sending a letter to my bank stating I was having financial difficulties due to lose of income. Does anyone know where I can find the template letter I have to send saying this? Thank you for any help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure