🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Alliance & Leicester closed my account and demanding the overdraft money back

Options
Hi everyone,

Could do with abit of advice.

Alliance and Leicester closed my premier current account 2 weeks ago without any warning. They cancelled all my direct debits and standing orders as well without informing me, luckily I had nothing coming out around that time!

I rang them up and they told me that my account was pending closure, the reason being for going over my agreed overdraft limit too many times over a couple of months. Fair play I did, I had trouble juggling my finances the last few months but am getting on top of it now. But they have benefited from it with their charges on top!!!!

She then told me I need to pay the overdraft off straight away and the charges will continue to apply until I do.

I then received a letter from them in the post informing me I have 28 days to pay up in full or they will contact a credit reference agency. (trying to scare me)

I intend to pay it i'm not running away from the situation, but £1000 will be a big chunk out of my wages at the end of the month, and as im trying to get my credit cards also paid off, this is going to put a spanner in the works for next month with other things, especially as i didn't expect it.

So my questions are:

They are asking for the full amount which is what they want to happen, but am I allowed to negoitate, i/e agree to pay three quarters now and agree to pay the rest next month? I wasn't getting anywhere on the phone to them they were very nasty and want the full amount or else they say. Or in the terms and conditions of overdrafts, is it the full amount.

Also, as my account is now over its agreed overdraft limit again, where does this leave me with extra charges, are they allowed to keep on charging me when the account is closed, should those charges freeze after a certain point?

Thank god I still have my account with Natwest!

Thanks in advance

Shaun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills