Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Have items to donate

Options
CAFCGirl
CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi there all

I've got a quick question.
I run a shop, and we've got a lot of stock which will be written off and disposed of at the end of November as its Best Before Date is End Nov 08 so we can no longer sell it.

My company failed to realise how much of this stock we had.
Now I would like to give this to any charities who might have use for it, for example care homes etc who can use the stock for their residents etc, or a school group who can give it out to families etc.
It's only a BBE date and will probably be ok for at least another few weeks after this.

Any advice for going about this? I havent got the foggiest where to start, even if its just to tell me its a rubbish idea.
My store is based in Canterbury, Kent.

Thanks in advance
:o
Manifesting Abundance in 2023
Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a brilliant idea, i hate waste in any shape or form. Hope someone
    takes you up on your offer.

Good luck
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact your local Social Services - they should be able to give you a steer on this. I'm not sure what kind of Care Homes you're thinking about, but the vast majority of Care Homes for older people are businesses, run for a profit, not charities.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • sonicshelly
    Options
    Could I just ask what the stock is?
    Maybe post on your local freecycle group
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Its cartons of hot chocolate, and its decent stuff. The packs retail at £3.95

Hadnt thought of freecycle - thanks x
  • sonicshelly
    Options
    I only asked as we do a lot of events to raise money for a 3yr old in our family with cancer.

We do lots of events, where provide refreshments. But then you live quite a distance away from us to collect.
    Thanks
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    ahhh bit rubbish then... sorry
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    InKind Direct - I remember when they had multiple jars of chocolate spread to dispose of ...

Or FareShare. Actually they may be better, because they're more geared up to food. Not sure how far they'll go to collect though, and I don't think they have national coverage yet.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Contact your local Social Services - they should be able to give you a steer on this. I'm not sure what kind of Care Homes you're thinking about, but the vast majority of Care Homes for older people are businesses, run for a profit, not charities.

Lots of hospices and care centres (eg neurological care) are charities, and specifically thinking of Huntington's Disease care (as people with the condition often need very high calorie diets to maintain weight), would really appreicate this kind of thing.

So I'd suggest looking for people like Sue Ryder Care (I have an interest with the charity). For you though, the nearest care centres are near reading and Luton. not far, but not 'close' if you live in the S of England.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I've found 4 charities so far who will be taking some, and will be calling some schools etc tomorrow to see about taking the rest.

All your help has been much appreciated xx
  • nips
    nips Posts: 2,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CAFCgirl, im sat on my computer for my sons school PTA trying to get free stuff - i'll pm you the letter im sending!
    Although probably there isnt any left??
    Comping addict since 2007 - still waiting for 'the big one' :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family