Been advised to invest with Hartford - Anyone got experience

Options
We have inherited a fair chunk of money and have ben advised to invest. Is now a good time and does anyone have any expereriences, good or bad?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not impressed with the Hartford product. It smacks of having all the right sound bites but when you cost them up and compare against alternatives you realise how expensive those options are.

Plus, they only offer their product in the life assurance tax wrapper and that may not be the most appropriate tax wrapper. (note the use of "may" as there are plenty of times it can be but more when it isnt).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rlfan82
    rlfan82 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Ta for the reply, Could you expand at all?

We initially had the idea of paying off our mortgage, but the advice we were given was to invest, as the money would be working harder for us.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Potentially, the reasoning to invest is correct. I could clear a chunk off my mortgage but i still invest and I am still running returns at more than double the rate of interest on the mortgage as average. However, it depends on your risk profile and tax position as to whether you should do it or not. Using up the £7200 (each) ISA allowances can be more important than clearing the mortgage as the long term benefit of the ISA can outweigh the short term gain of clearing the mortgage (ISA being a use it or lose it allowance).

I assume the recomendation included fully utilising your ISA allowances (it would be a mis-sale if it didnt).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure