🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Debit card Payments

Options
Just wondering if you can answer a question for me.I paid a mobile phone bill on behalf of my daughter over the phone yesterday using my debit card.
They've received payment and turned her phone back on but the amount has not been taken form my balance.How long does this usually take to show up since when I pay online or take money from ATM it seems to show straight away.I just want to know how long I should leave it before contacting bank.
It's Barclay's by the way.Thanks.

Comments

• sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well if it is visa debit it will take 1-3 working days for them to debit the money. whats the network, i'm with t-mobile and they are lively taking the money out.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    sutton111 wrote: »
    well if it is visa debit it will take 1-3 working days for them to debit the money. whats the network, i'm with t-mobile and they are lively taking the money out.

It's Orange.
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you phone them and ask barclays the transation may of been authorised already and the money set aside to be debited over night tonight. HTH
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    .How long does this usually take to show up since when I pay online or take money from ATM it seems to show straight away.

Different scenario as you're directly debiting the payment from a cash transaction at an ATM etc. With the debit card you're creating a transaction but where the retailer has to initiate the debit via the people who handle their card payments (merchant acquirer).

But if the debit was of any real value it should have been authorised - which means it should be already deducted from your 'available' balance if you view your account online. And the actual debit will normally show in 48 / 72 hours.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport