We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lloyds TSB Unplanned Overdraft Letter

Options
Has anyone else today received a letter from Lloyds TSB saying they have gone overdrawn and are incurring Unplanned overdraft fees - I have and I do have a planned overdraft in place. Just phoned them and it is a bank error - how many people has this affected?? I am furious:mad:

Comments

• kate705
    kate705 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jojo,

Just got off the phone to Lloyds as we tried to reduce our overdraft on Friday by £1500. It should have been straightforward but the mistake has taken me an hour to rectify.

We woke up this morning to see that they had taken away the whole planned overdraft leaving us £4000 in unauthorised OD!! The advisor said that she thought my husband had pressed the wrong key on the online banking system and that it had taken the whole overdraft away. My husband denies this as he knows you cannot reduce an overdraft online. She would not let us have our old overdraft amount back even though we repaid them £1500 this month. She said that she knew it was hard but I would have to seek money elsewhere. I could not believe that she was taking this away and that we would not be able to pay them their loan or mortgage back.

I then rang a different department, they apologised and reinstalled the overdraft and said that we would not be charged. He said that it was a banking error. I don't know if they are calling in some of their overdrafts today because the original advisor said that she had received lots of calls regarding overdrafts today.

I just wanted to tell people not to accept the decision if it seems wrong...ring the overdraft section at Lloyds if there has been a mistake. We were being punished for trying to give them their money back!!! :rolleyes:

Have you had any luck in getting it sorted?
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Jojo22 wrote: »
    Has anyone else today received a letter from Lloyds TSB saying they have gone overdrawn and are incurring Unplanned overdraft fees - I have and I do have a planned overdraft in place. Just phoned them and it is a bank error - how many people has this affected?? I am furious:mad:

I have just spoken to my local branch, they said there was an error in the systems that resulted in these letters being sent out, they have had people on the phone all morning and it would seem that it is a UK problem rather than an individual branch problem. The letter has a reference of OM901.

She said there would be an apology letter in the next few days and no charges etc.. would be applied to any account that shouldn't have them. Our account has a planned overdraft of £2000 and we are only £400 into in, the account was only opened a few weeks ago!!

Don't be too angry, I feel sorry for anyone who works at Lloyds TSB today, I'm sure they could do without the hassle just as much as we could.
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]i have also received this letter this morning, the operator said letters have been sent in error, ignore them. Will also receive a letter to apologies in the next few days.

I have had a look on the internet site and all the balances are fine on my account.
    [/FONT]
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    here is a link to the bbc website re this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7695384.stm
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Baz_2
    Baz_2 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I got one of those today, makes you really angry for a bit doesn't it. I just knew it was wrong so came on here to see if there was a thread already and here it is. Love this website.

I won't bother to call them and will just wait for the apology letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport