lapland to see father christmas

Options
My dad wants to take the kids to lapland to see father christmas. We looked at the great deals on lastminute.com last year after following the threads decided that our youngest who was 3 at the time was too young.

So here we are again, there will be six of us travelling. Myself, my dad and DP. Three kids aged 13, 5, and 4. Lastminute have deals for levi and yllas. These are for a week and they also have deals for a 3 day visit santa trip with everything in the cost. We have questions b4 I book that I am hoping someone on here can answer.

1, Which resort do people think would be best for the kids?

2, I remember a few people from here going with Lastminute.com last year. Did you have to pay for your suits etc extra on top of the holiday. Oh and the big worry DP is 6'6" and very round!:rolleyes: I am concerned that they will not have suits to fit. He says they must get plenty of "Big americans" out there so not to worry.

3, Can any one reccomend a good father christmas trip? Dad's friend took his grandkids for the day and they went to a place where the airport is only open at christmas. He said they had a great time and is worried that as levi etc are ski resorts the santa trips will not be as good.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am begining to get very stressed about all this. We are on a budget and its a lot of money to spend for us to be in the wrong part of finland. I have been saving up all year, no nights out, no holiday etc.

Comments

• poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Options
    I think that levi will be best for the children as they have kidsland - it really is fab especailly for the younger ones and then your 15 year old will also have fun as there is more to do in levi than there is in yllas - even though I personally prefer yllas over levi - that is purely based on my love of the wilderness over a small town - as far as facilities go - levi has much more for the children you are taking with you

when you go for the week stay you do not get any clothing included in the price but you can hire it with inghams - it costs something like £38 per persons and that's for an outer suit and boots - you still have to get all the other layers such as thermal base layers, then fleece mid layers etc - you can get these all relitivly cheaply on ebay - you may also find that you can get the ski gear cheaper than hiring it, you certainly can for the children - you should be able to get all in one ski suits from ebay for about £10 each and then boots for about the same - so this automatically is cheaper than hiring - adults however may not be cheaper but they would be cooler looking - you chould be able to pick up sallopets for under £20 each adn the same for a jacket, boots again are going to be about 20 quid so you have already spent £60 when the hire is over £20 less - you can however make your money back by re-selling your items - your 15 year old will want to look cool so I would buy their outfit rather than hiring - you know how touchy 15 year olds can be

as for the large sizing - don't worry - they have suits to fit all

santa trips - you can have a private visit from santa to your cabin or you can go and see him on a hunt for santa - go to www.laplandforum.com for more info on the santa options - I do however, recommend that you do not go to the santa park in rovinevi as it's a long way away and tacky (imo)

as you are on a budget go self catering is the best option - the cost is about the same as over here but remember you have to get all the basics so if you can take them with you then this will keep costs down - you will also find that levi has more free things to do - they have some free ski lifts you can use if you are thinking of skiing but also the main slope you can sledge at - again it's free and sooooo much fun for everyone

I have just checked the prices and they have levi half board at £1634 for all of you going on the 14th dec - this is an excellent price especially as it's half board - this will save you lots of money - the other option is the saaga appartments at just slightly more for self catering - the only issue with this place is that it is around the other side of the fell to the main part of yllas village and everything is based around the skiing - there is not much else there - I would go for the half board option in levi - great deal

let me know if you book

also check out www.levi.fi for info on what is at levi
  • shed_head_2
    Options
    santa trips - you can have a private visit from santa to your cabin or you can go and see him on a hunt for santa - go to www.lapland.forum.com for more info on the santa options - I do however, recommend that you do not go to the santa park in rovinevi as it's a long way away and tacky (imo)

Thanks for the great info. I cannot get the link to work though. Not sure if it is my computer or the link. Any ideas?

Em
  • poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Options
    sorry - it's https://www.laplandforum.com

I put an extra . in there
  • gairlochgal
    Options
    We've been twice with Canterbury travel. I chose them after a lot of research - not the cheapest but excellent quality.

Did a one day trip the first time - really hard on the adult but my then 4 yr old did fine and had a serious adventure. And 2 years ago we did a 1 night stay version which was also amazing. No northern lights this time but we stayed in a lovely hotel and had a dawn walk up a snowy hill path lined by candles - by the time we got to the top the sun was coming up over the forest. The kids talk often about it - esp the husky ride. DD1 is almost 11 and she still has the certificates on her bedroom wall to say she crossed the arctic circle, mushed huskies, rode with reindeer etc.

Suits were all in the price. We just went with thermal layers (basic stuff) and chocolate for emergency.
  • shed_head wrote: »
    My dad wants to take the kids to lapland to see father christmas. We looked at the great deals on lastminute.com last year after following the threads decided that our youngest who was 3 at the time was too young.

So here we are again, there will be six of us travelling. Myself, my dad and DP. Three kids aged 13, 5, and 4. Lastminute have deals for levi and yllas. These are for a week and they also have deals for a 3 day visit santa trip with everything in the cost. We have questions b4 I book that I am hoping someone on here can answer.

1, Which resort do people think would be best for the kids?

2, I remember a few people from here going with Lastminute.com last year. Did you have to pay for your suits etc extra on top of the holiday. Oh and the big worry DP is 6'6" and very round!:rolleyes: I am concerned that they will not have suits to fit. He says they must get plenty of "Big americans" out there so not to worry.

3, Can any one reccomend a good father christmas trip? Dad's friend took his grandkids for the day and they went to a place where the airport is only open at christmas. He said they had a great time and is worried that as levi etc are ski resorts the santa trips will not be as good.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am begining to get very stressed about all this. We are on a budget and its a lot of money to spend for us to be in the wrong part of finland. I have been saving up all year, no nights out, no holiday etc.
    Looks like my planning will be very similar to your's this year! I'm looking to go Lapland anytime in December, with 'possibly' 3 adults & 3 kids. Got it narrowed down to Levi or Yllas & waiting to get top last-minute deal (which I'm hoping there'll be plenty of, in current climate) Any closer yourself to finding dream trip for your six?
  • shed_head_2
    Options
    Looks like my planning will be very similar to your's this year! I'm looking to go Lapland anytime in December, with 'possibly' 3 adults & 3 kids. Got it narrowed down to Levi or Yllas & waiting to get top last-minute deal (which I'm hoping there'll be plenty of, in current climate) Any closer yourself to finding dream trip for your six?

I found it, dithered to much then lost it!!! Arrrgggghhhh

Not sure what to do now as the youngest will turn 4 dec 18th so they will not accept him on the long safari trips or in ski school. If we wait till next year we can time it so that he is 5. But then will the deals be around next year and will we be able to still afford it at that point...

Oh decisions decision
  • Same thing almost happened to me...tried in vain to get girls mother to go, then missed out on all London flights by waiting so long :mad:. Got wkd deal in the end from www.freedomdirect.co.uk Tel:0800-015-2766. Manchester departure on 17th Dec for 4nights; 2 bedroom log cabin in Yllas; 2 adults, 3 kids.....all for £1640. It's an Inghams trip & if you check the same deal & dates through their website, it's DOUBLE the price! Maybe give the Freephone number a try & see what deals they've got left? Good luck....:beer: .
  • johnpaulpops
    Options
    I've seriously thought of arranging this myself, there were some great flight offers a couple of years ago that I'd have snapped up if I was going by myself, with a child I want to have my route planned and all my homework done first.

I'd be interested to see what kind of cost it comes to for your trips, and whether there's a big saving on the tour operators.

JP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport