Speed camera in Brighton

Options
I was in Brighton last night, heading south on the A23 (next to Preston Park for those who know the area) and went past a speed camera. I knew it was there so I made sure I did not go over the 30 limit, yet I still got flashed. Has anyone else been flashed by this camera despite knowing they weren't speeding and if so, did they get a ticket through the post?

Comments

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know a few people who have been flashed & fined both there at at the Woodingdean one, when they swear they never went over 30. My landlord got a fine for doing "32" mph - didn't even know it was possible to calibrate a camera that precisely? I don't think he had to pay it in the end, but can't remember the whole story as was several years ago ...
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes you can set the camera off from the other side of the road, maybe someone was speeding the other side of the road. Ive been caught there myself, 36 in a 30 :( a friend in the police says they apparently calibrate them to allow 10% plus 2mph, so at 35 i'd have been ok!

It may also be that your speedo is faulty? Just a thought...?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some speed cameras run a random test flash cycle and you probably drove through at that moment.
    The man without a signature.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do get a ticket for this, the two photos and the lines painted on the road should determine your exact speed. As has been said it may be that your speedo is misreading.
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Preston Park area can be a bit of a speedway with cars going 2 abreast, so I guess they might set it off occasionally to discourage those attempting it later at night?!
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All the speculation about this is rather academic, until and unless the OP gets a Notice of Intended Prosecution. This has to be sent to the Registered Keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence.

There's another camera at a site near this in Brighton, on Ditchling Road, which zapped someone at 38mph, and it was later proved in Court, and accepted by the prosecution, that they couldn't have been doing more than 32. So don't take their "evidence" as gospel.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    How on earth could anyone proof they couldn't have been doing more than 32???
  • iB1
    iB1 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's folklore or not, but I've heard that some cameras, when they are out of film, flash just once (in the case of a GATSO) at much lower speeds than they would normally - so maybe at 32mph instead of 36. Don't take this as Gospel though! :o
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    How on earth could anyone proof they couldn't have been doing more than 32???
    The Gatso camera produces two photographs, taken 0.5 seconds apart, showing the vehicle travelling across the gridlines. These photos are meant to corroborate the radar speed measured by the camera, and if it's more than 10% different, the evidence should be discarded.

In this case, the defendant obtained prints, measured the gridlines, and a photographic analysis expert demonstrated to the court that the camera was inaccurate.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't think cameras could zap cars on the other side of the road as there was a concern of the flash being directed right at them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure