🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

A & L Now Santander

Options
:cool: Got this email today....

On Friday, 10 October, we formally completed the acquisition of Alliance & Leicester. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Santander Group.
You are now part of one of the world's most successful banks. Santander is first bank in the Eurozone by market capitalization, and fifth in the world by profits, with over 70 million customers in 40 countries.
We are, fundamentally, a retail bank with over 13,000 branches worldwide - more than any other international bank. Santander has already a strong presence in the UK through its ownership of Abbey and more recently, Bradford & Bingley's savings accounts and branches.
The addition of Alliance & Leicester will further strengthen our UK presence. A&L has strengths in areas where Abbey intended to grow and both banks have built reputations as challengers to the big banks with attractive offers such as high-interest current accounts, strong savings rates and good mortgage and credit card deals.
By becoming part of the Santander Group, Alliance & Leicester has acquired strong backing, which is crucial in these difficult financial times.
I am convinced that Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley, as part of the Santander Group, will be a leading UK bank focused on giving you great service and value-for-money products.
Yours sincerely,
Chairman, Emilio Botin
Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?

Comments

• Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

On Friday, 10 October, we formally completed the acquisition of Alliance & Leicester. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Santander Group.
    Chairman, Emilio Botin

Hmmm. Bit worried that his name Emilio Botin is an anagram of "I be mini loot" ... so just a small time banker then? :rotfl:

Could be worse, it's also an anagram of "I be into limo". Let's hope he's not making off with our money as I write. :rotfl:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think we need to give them time to get there feet under the table so to speek and see how thay do i think that in time thay will rebrand all there banks in this country As Santander and drop all the other names.
    But we will have to wait and see
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look forward to Santander's IT systems...
    Made a bad situation worse in Abbey
    I would imagine it would be even more fun with integrating Bradford & Bingley too.

You are now part of one of the world's most successful banks. Santander is first bank in the Eurozone by market capitalization, and fifth in the world by profits, with over 70 million customers in 40 countries.
    We are, fundamentally, a retail bank with over 13,000 branches worldwide - more than any other international bank. Santander has already a strong presence in the UK through its ownership of Abbey and more recently, Bradford & Bingley's savings accounts and branches.
    The addition of Alliance & Leicester will further strengthen our UK presence. A&L has strengths in areas where Abbey intended to grow and both banks have built reputations as challengers to the big banks with attractive offers such as high-interest current accounts, strong savings rates and good mortgage and credit card deals.
    By becoming part of the Santander Group, Alliance & Leicester has acquired strong backing, which is crucial in these difficult financial times.
    I am convinced that Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley, as part of the Santander Group, will be a leading UK bank focused on giving you great service and value-for-money products.
    Yours sincerely,
    Chairman, Emilio Botin
  • WTFUK
    WTFUK Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Let's hope that this awful bank makes an improvement in terms of customer service!
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is interesting as I used have an account with Abbey. I took them court over bank charges and the case is on hold. They closed my account and repeatedly passed my overdraft onto debt collectors.

In the meantime I opened an account with A&L.

Where do you think i stand with this. Will Abbey take money automatically from my A&L account?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "ABBA!" Abbey-Bradford/Bingley-AandL!
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    "ABBA!" Abbey-Bradford/Bingley-AandL!

I sense some competition with those godawful Halifax adverts in the making... :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport