Bi Polar & Dla

Options
1235»

Comments

• tracie15472
    Options
    skipsmum wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I have bipolar. I get low rate care DLA. When I am very poorly I stay in hospital so cant claim, when I am well, like at the moment, I can function pretty well but I am disorganised and quite haphazard. I haven't cooked a successful meal in over a year, and struggle to keep appointments (missed DSs college enrolment yesterday because I was sure it was at 3.20....it was 9.50!) I havecarer help with shopping and meal planning and DH does most of the cooking.
    To whoever asked about working with bipolar, I have been told Im unemployable at the moment as I can be unpredicatable and have spent such a lot of time in hospital. However I have met bipolar people who hold down full time jobs and families - I doubt at that point there would be many care or mobility needs. Im going to college 2 days a week from september and I have a support package with several hours mentoring and help with organisation but I doubt there would be any jobs that provide this type of support.

Have looked at first post and it was 2008....why ressurect such an old thread?
    i thk tht u are entitled to more than low rate care and i respect u for tryin to help urself in respect of trying to work and college!
  • tracie15472
    Options
    i was diagnosed as bipolar 2 and receive high rate care and low rate mobility. its how you fill the form tht counts.fill it in as if you was on a bad day.another factor is i have a 1 and 2 yr old so need help to keep them safe aswel as myself. although diagnosed with bi-polar 2 i feel im on borderline as have rapid cycling and feel tht evry few yrs i have severe manic episodes which is likely to be bi-polar 1.its what you write tht counts not what the docs says!in my form i wrote varies,varies varies as to time and amount of help i need!
    i emphasize tht when i say i write as on bad day,when it says help with cookin etc i say yes but i write varies at bottom as sometimes dont need the help but if i was to write no dont need help if on good day then they would assume never need help but to write yes and then varies i am bein honest about my condition. thts what i mean about filling in form as on bad day!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i thk tht u are entitled to more than low rate care and i respect u for tryin to help urself in respect of trying to work and college!

Disabilities are different for everyone; so the poster may only be entitled to lower care.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • tracie15472
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Disabilities are different for everyone; so the poster may only be entitled to lower care.
    i respect what u say but i wasnt happy about u calling me a fraud. i have tried to explain in more detail how i filled form in if u read the threads.i joined this forum yesterday for support not for abuse and bad feedback! reading back maybe i didnt explain my self fully but evry1 is different and thts why theres lr mr and hr care given accordingly! no hard feelings eh! i need support not abuse
  • tracie15472
    Options
    i was diagnosed with bipolar 4yrs b4 i was told about dla and when i applied was awarded hrc and lrm.if i was a fraud i would have applied sooner.as it is i was disgusted tht i was not informed about the benefit i was entitled to!
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options

Yep, I am either very poorly and in hospital or quite normal needing only a little bit of help. I don't really have an inbetween state!
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • tracie15472
    Options
    Yep, I am either very poorly and in hospital or quite normal needing only a little bit of help. I don't really have an inbetween state!
    maybe their right in only giving u lrc then.i cycle rapidly and am very unpredictable having many highs and lows in 1 day.suffer mostly depressive stages but evry few yrs having severe manic episodes where im awake for 4-5 days at a time.unlike you i cant work or go to college which i would love to do to help myself as i have a 16yr old and a 1 and 2yr old.my partner is my full time carer but when im unwell which is most of time i am neglected as his priority is children 1st b4 me which i accept. i need 2 carers, 1 for me 1 for children.its a long hard road but we all do our best!
  • Indie_Kid
    Options

I have a different (undiagnosed) mental health problem and feel like this. I'm either fine (like now) or very depressed.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • tracie15472
    Options
    I have a different (undiagnosed) mental health problem and feel like this. I'm either fine (like now) or very depressed.
    just wondered what rate of care do you get?
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    just wondered what rate of care do you get?

Low for both; but that's my physical problems. I've now put in a new claim because my needs have changed.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family