Motor legal protection

Options
Has anybody had cause to use this?Is it worthwhile and in what way is it beneficial if i had an accident which was'nt my fault?

Am on a tight budget and looking for ways to trim my insurance down.Any help appreciated. :xmassign:

Comments

• r01
    r01 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    craggy wrote:
    Has anybody had cause to use this?Is it worthwhile and in what way is it beneficial if i had an accident which was'nt my fault?

Am on a tight budget and looking for ways to trim my insurance down.Any help appreciated. :xmassign:

Like all insurance - It's a complete waste of money until you actually need it, so it depends on how you personally feel about risk.

The first thing to do is ask yourself why you need it and what exactly for - If you have fully comp insurance, isn't your insurance company supposed to handle your claim and all legal aspects of it ? They have their own lawyers. If you have a decent Broker, he will usually recover your no-claims for you in a no fault situation. We also have the small claims court procedure and most companies / people cough up as soon as they receive the Plaint but if they are a private individual with no money, even a lawyer can't get blood out of a stone. Remember also that in the case of personal injury, there are plenty of ambulance chasing "no-win no-fee" lawyers around these days.

I tend to feel that legal insurance for motorists is a bit like accidental death insurance - I personally don't know anyone who has ever claimed on either.
    I do know plenty of people who have fallen off ladders and injured themselves (myself included), but very few people actually die, therefore, make a claim and as the odds are so low, I am personally happy to live with the risk of not having both these insurances. I did use my motorist's legal helpline once many years ago but they were not able to give anything other than general advice which was freely available elsewhere.

Check your home insurance (and even the "perks" with your bank account) as insurances are often thrown in, so you may actually be needlessly paying a second insurance without knowing it. If you read your motorists legal insurance policy, you might also find that you are not covered for many of the things you think you are and there may well be weazle clauses placing amazingly stringent requirements on you before you can make a claim.

You pays 'yer money and makes 'yer choice, but I hope this helps put a perspective on it for you.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know someone who has just successfully defended a serious driving charge thanks to his insurers stumping up the legal fees under the motor legal protection policy.

I am currently claiming for my injuries in an accident with the mlpp picking up the tab. It has saved me a lot of hassle.

As for fully comp insurance covering you for legal aspects, they only claim back your car repair costs, everything else is down to you.
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would ALWAYS pay the extra for the Legal Protection aspect of a Motor Insurance policy.

If it does all go wrong, then at least you have back-up to fully pursue a claim.

Unless you have personal experience from an occupational position in pursuing a claim, I would recommend having it.
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • Bossyboots
    Options
    Justicia wrote:
    I would ALWAYS pay the extra for the Legal Protection aspect of a Motor Insurance policy.

If it does all go wrong, then at least you have back-up to fully pursue a claim.

Unless you have personal experience from an occupational position in pursuing a claim, I would recommend having it.

I agree with you. I have experience in pursuing claims, which is why I have the legal protection. I have done it in the past for my husband and my SIL but they were quite basic and before the new court civil procedure rules. Now I wouldn't attempt it myself, hence taking out the protection which has now come into its own.

My only quibble is that the solicitor they chose, who is one of their panel solicitors, is a bit dilatory in keeping me up to date with progress whereas I would have expected an exceptional service from a panel solicitor. My policy does allow me to choose my own solicitor but I particularly wanted an arms length one who had already gone through the selection process so I let them choose the company. The added advantage though is that the insurers will intervene on my behalf if I continue to be unhappy with the level of service I am receiving.
  • craggy_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - I think i will go for it...I think its the wording they can use sometimes although as R01 points out in the case of personal injury there are plenty of no win/no fee lawyers around.

I suppose the main thing i would want it for is that - along with making sure any damage to my car is paid for by other persons insurers if its not my fault.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always ask for it to be taken off and don't get it. What are the real chances of really needing to use it? (I've no idea but would guess that only a very small minority would gain from it?)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • craggy_2
    Options
    Are you trying to confuse me Fran!!Lol

I'm already delibarating whether to protect my no claims bonus....Can get insurance third party,fire and theft for £169 - with legal protection its £191 - and if i want it protecting its £220

Oh well am off shopping to have another think!!
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    I always ask for it to be taken off and don't get it. What are the real chances of really needing to use it? (I've no idea but would guess that only a very small minority would gain from it?)

The chance of actually needing it situation is very similar to the "it only happens to other people" situation.

I am in a situation just now (the aftermath of a non-fault incident) where I sure have needed it...

But after all it is indeed your choice and your choice alone.
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • Bossyboots
    Options
    Justicia wrote:
    The chance of actually needing it situation is very similar to the "it only happens to other people" situation.

I am in a situation just now (the aftermath of a non-fault incident) where I sure have needed it...

But after all it is indeed your choice and your choice alone.

Me too. As I mentioned above, I also know someone who was able to defend a driving summons because the legal protection covered his fees. You just don't know when you might need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure