When can I withdraw against a cheque? (2 4 6 process)

Options
Hello

If I pay a cheque into a current account at noon on Monday, that counts as day 0
Therefore it will start to earn interest on Wednesday, day 2
And then I am able to withdraw the funds on Friday, day 4

Question 1) at what time on Friday can I withdraw the funds? 00:01, noon, or close of business?

Question 2) If the money starts to earn interest on day 2, is this the same as saying I won't pay overdraft interest from day 2 on the cheque amount, if the cleared balance is overdrawn?

Thanks

Comments

• silentscream999
    Options
    with lloyds it is thursday night you can withdraw
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Q1: When it's cleared, ie when your "available balance" has been affected (it could be sooner than Friday).

Q2: Yes.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    Question 1) at what time on Friday can I withdraw the funds? 00:01, noon, or close of business?

Depends on both the bank and the kind of account that you have with them. Noon Friday is the safest bet, though.
    Question 2) If the money starts to earn interest on day 2, is this the same as saying I won't pay overdraft interest from day 2 on the cheque amount, if the cleared balance is overdrawn?

Yes, absolutely correct.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If it's an external cheque to your own Branch - then you can draw on it after your Bank has run it's overnight Batch processes at the conclusion of the 3rd day following the deposit (or earlier with some banks). Cheque clearing is a Batch orientated process ..... so it doesn't 'clear' to a 24hr cycle following the time of deposit. So your 0.01hrs is closest ........ but it depends just when overnight the Batch updates are complete as they vary with Banks and they vary within Banks depending upon volumes / process problems.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, but only up by the amount that the overdraft is covered by that cheque - if the cheque+overdraft >0
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport