kids and dla

Options
I have applied for dla for my daughter whos 10 who has been diagnosed with adhd and dyslexia (may 08) she is on medication after advice from doctor ,who suggested i apply for dla, i got help from a local representation unit to fill it in with me as it was far too complicated for me lol

i am already on benefits (as going to work is not an option just now as got 3 kids and looks like my 2 boys are going down same road)

is there anything i need to know or watch out for as i am new to all this

any help would be gratefully reiceved

xx
:A

well i got letter today and yes it was refused so going to my local representaion unit and they are going to appeal it for me x

thanks for help put my question on that thread but im not good with words lol
mother of 3 great kids (well they do try lol)
1 girl age 17 (who has adhd and dyslexia)

2 boys age 13 autistic and 14 year old ADHD/ODD /COLOR]
:T i have won tickets to irn bru carnival :T

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    mspig wrote: »
    Just don't be concerned if it comes back refused, as they do this alot, they did this on my 5 year olds first claim(which we di when he was 4) for the care part of DLA we appealed and got the middle rate care, then we applied for mobility when he turned 5 in April this year - it got refused after 22 weeks wait, then we appealed and we got the letter on friday telling us we have been successful and now get low rate mobility.

While i have a 3year old who has a severe illness who got his claim through accepted on the higher rate care, within 3weeks of applying.

My sisters son had leukemia and alot of the kids on his ward were refused DLA even though some even had terminal cancer.

Don't forget that if you get higher rate care you will get more tax credits aswell.

tbh i find it very hard to believe that anyone terminally ill has been refused DLA as its applied for under "special rules"
  • jetcat
    jetcat Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    mspig wrote: »

Don't forget that if you get higher rate care you will get more tax credits aswell.

just to add, you actually get extra tax credits no matter what componant of dla you receive, and then you get an extra element on top of that if in receipt of higher rate care.
  • irrelevant
    Options
    Remember also that once DLA is granted, you can then claim Carers Allowance for looking after them.

Bear in mind, however, that this one IS counted as income when they assess you for means tested benefits, so if you have other income and only just qualify for Child Tax Credits or Income Support, for example, you'll have to weigh up if it's worth appling for.
  • angelheart-xx
    Options
    thanks for replys

xx

• angelheart-xx
    Options
    got refused so appealing it x

• jetcat
    jetcat Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    got refused so appealing it x

glad you're not giving up at the first hurdle! is your representative helping you with the appeal? Try and gather as much supporting evidence in the meantime - a letter from school, GP etc. It does take a fair amount of time to go through the process, but dont give up!

maybe take thantos up on his/her kind offer (in the sticky at the top) as to what the decision makers look out for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure