The recession

Options

Comments

• briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    TBH, I'd be looking to emigrate. There's loads of countries which would welcome professional people, while England only takes the dross, criminals and the scroungers and then lavishes every possible benefit on them while bleeding the tax-payer white.

Face it, white middle-class people are loathed by the elite fools who want to boo-hoo-hoo over the 'disadvantaged' and, yes, we'll be having to 'respect' Shariah Law soon enough too as the fifth-column grows in power and numbers.

England is finished. If you can, get out now.

Ummmm... I don't know if you're aware of it (probably not given the short-sightedness of your post!), but the recession is of a global nature and not just limited to England!

Quite aside from the rest of the UK (Scotland, Wales and NI), the US, Iceland, Germany, Spain, France and Italy among others are all forecasting major unemployment. Being realistic, if they haven't got jobs for their own nationals (who, in the case of the European countries, would actually have the advantage of speaking the language) then they're most unlikely to accept a large influx of Britons seeking a better life!

Oh, and I like the way you instantly assumed that the OP and her family are white! They may well be but what with the UK being multi-cultural, there are several other ethnicities she could be of too!

Just out of interest, being as racist as you are, how do YOU intend to fit into another country and culture when you quit England and run?!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

And people have been saying that for 'donkeys years' but England is still a damn sight better place to live than many places I could name! :)
  • a7man
    a7man Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    Your husbands a self employed engineer? uh oh...I just heard that is the top profession to have the most redundancies!!

I also heard everyone in the UK is going to lose their homes too, we will all be homeless!

I can see why your worried, the changes to life so far are unimaginable...!

Dont even know why I wasted my time responding...
    Living the good life spending all my money but loving it!!
  • pioneer
    pioneer Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This will cheer you up and make it all clearer !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoshMpYfmg&feature=channel
    "Didn't I try to Warn them I said !"
    David Essex War of the Worlds.
    "Thats Ancient History, Been There! Done That!" Hercules
  • pumpndump
    Options
    TBH, I'd be looking to emigrate. There's loads of countries which would welcome professional people, while England only takes the dross, criminals and the scroungers and then lavishes every possible benefit on them while bleeding the tax-payer white.

Face it, white middle-class people are loathed by the elite fools who want to boo-hoo-hoo over the 'disadvantaged' and, yes, we'll be having to 'respect' Shariah Law soon enough too as the fifth-column grows in power and numbers.

Completely agree with amcluescent. This country is finished. You are right to be afraid of the approaching recession. This one is going to be a whopper. And it is IMMINENT.

Find some way of diminishing that £80k so that it does not discount you from housing benefit and the rock 'n' roll. When we were in the last recession, both my wife and I went on the rock 'n' roll and had a whale of a time.

Otherwise, get out of the country. If you have, say, a Polish grandfather or an Irish mother, get a Polish or an Irish passport instead of a toy one. That way you will be able to bypass the queues of British refugees.

Get your kid a 2nd hand bike. When he grows out of it, you can trade it in for a bigger one.

Sorry you spewed up - maybe no. 3 is on the way.

Good luck in Canada/Australia/wherever.
    In the field of investment, 99 per cent of everything is garbage. Why? Because we have "gearing". - Robert Beckman
  • Consumer40
    Options
    You have to remember that, like most of us, journalists have targets. They write stories that are designed to catch our attention and increase circulation/viewing figures. Often this results in exaggerated and misleading reports that are unduly worrying. When Northern Rock was nationalised, some newspapers claimed that it would cost every one of us thousands of pounds. Well that was only true if all the Northern Rock mortgage customers stopped paying their mortgages and then all their houses were repossessed and found to be valueless. Not very likely and so far my tax bill has not gone up by thousands.

The financial markets also tend to over-react. Internet technology offered some exciting opportunities but, during the dot-com boom, companies that were unlikely to ever make a profit were massively over-valued. During the more recent commodities boom some analysts could see no end to rising prices - at best prices might stabilise for short periods before resuming their upward spiral - now oil prices are tumbling.

The markets are crashing and the news is very bleak but chances are the downside is being over-stated just as the upside was.

Some people will lose their jobs. Some homes will be re-possessed but the government will not allow this to happen on a massive scale - it would be daft to have large numbers of new homeless families and large numbers of repossessed empty houses. If necessary schemes can be devised for the government to buy the reposessed houses at rock bottom prices and then rent them back to the original occupants.

Most commentators don't think the next few years will be as bad as the 1970s. Back then we faced endless strikes - most notably the coal miners strike that led to the 3-day week and routine power cuts (I still have a copy of the power cut rota - there was a rota to ensure that the suffering was spread equally and that we knew when the power would be off).

TV closed down early - I think the BBC and ITV alternated between 10:30 and 10:40 to ensure that everyone did not switch the kettle on at the same time and overload the power stations even more!

The oil crisis resulted in the issue of ration coupons for petrol (in the event they were not used) and a 50 mph speed limit on all roads. We were told to heat only one room and famously a government minister suggested we clean our teeth in the dark!

But grim as all this was, we did not starve and most of us were not made homeless, nor were we desperately unhappy. Instead of complaining about speed cameras and stealth taxes, we complained about the lights going out! The point I am making is that even if it is as bad as the 1970s, most of us, you included, will adapt and be OK.
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pumpndump wrote: »
    Completely agree with amcluescent. This country is finished. You are right to be afraid of the approaching recession. This one is going to be a whopper. And it is IMMINENT.

Find some way of diminishing that £80k so that it does not discount you from housing benefit and the rock 'n' roll. When we were in the last recession, both my wife and I went on the rock 'n' roll and had a whale of a time.

Otherwise, get out of the country. If you have, say, a Polish grandfather or an Irish mother, get a Polish or an Irish passport instead of a toy one. That way you will be able to bypass the queues of British refugees.

Yeah right!

This is from the person who said
    I am a tax payer and don't have an icesave account, but I certainly DO resent seeing our government giving handouts to those rate tart dopes who lost their money in that toy bank.

If a gambler puts £50,000 on a horse and it comes in last, are you saying the taxpayer gives him his 50 Gs back?

I resent having to pay for other people's stuck on stupidity. If they've lost their money, they should get an extra job as penance for being as dumb as bricks.
    So I would not take too much notice from someone who does not even know the difference from saving and gambling on a horse yet is in touch apparently with the way the country is going! :eek::rotfl:
  • pumpndump
    Options
    nilrem wrote: »
    Yeah right!

This is from the person who said

So I would not take too much notice from someone who does not even know the difference from saving and gambling on a horse yet is in touch apparently with the way the country is going! :eek::rotfl:

And this from the person who said:

"As far as I am concerned ones savings are safe even if one has over £35K in Icesave, people are getting paranoid about this issue IMHO based mainly on hearsay and rumour! :)
    I have more than £35k with Icesave and I do not intend moving my cash from them unless a better offer comes along that makes it worth moving. :)"

It is not my fault you lost money in Icesave. It is 100% yours. And I am not responsible for your reckless behaviour.

As for reality, sucker. I kept all my money, and augmented it. You lost yours.
    In the field of investment, 99 per cent of everything is garbage. Why? Because we have "gearing". - Robert Beckman
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    This country is finished.

With people like you around, I'm almost tempted to agree! Even your user name's vile!
    Utterly charming!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And this from the person who said:

"As far as I am concerned ones savings are safe even if one has over £35K in Icesave, people are getting paranoid about this issue IMHO based mainly on hearsay and rumour! :)
    I have more than £35k with Icesave and I do not intend moving my cash from them unless a better offer comes along that makes it worth moving. :)"

It is not my fault you lost money in Icesave. It is 100% yours. And I am not responsible for your reckless behaviour.

No one who saved money in Icesave has lost anything...
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure