Income support back dated?

Options
Hi everyone! I stupidly went back to work a few months ago, and ended up a lot worse off because it wasn't the best of pay and was commision based :mad: but i thought i could make a go of it, anyway it didn't work out so i had to leave and go back on income support.

I put my claim in 5 weeks ago and it has just been sorted, i got my first payment today but it hasn't been backdated and i'm not sure why. I have a feeling it may be because i couldn't get two payslips or a letter from my employer. But surely this isn't my fault? I did try, i've written, phoned, emailed even a family member tried contacting them and also when i spoke to the lady dealing with my claim she said she had also found it impossible to get an answer from this 'company'. But whilst i was waiting 5 weeks for my claim i literally had nothing so i've maxed out my credit card, taken out a small loan and now i'm stuffed i thought i would pay it off if they back date it but now they haven't and i don't know what to do ? :confused: I'd understand if i was lazy and just didn't bother getting anything from the employer but i tried and tried every day for the last 5 weeks and it's just impossible :mad: Our local office isn't open until Monday so i will call then and ask why it isn't back dated i just wondered has anybody been in the same situation? Or have any advice?
Winging life....

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the first thing that springs to mind is one we hit last year.

I was paid monthly, so the last pay cheque I got at the end of October (which only included 2 weeks pay, and those at half rate as I was off on long term sick) was deemed as a salary that we had to survive on until the next scheduled pay date -- which was the last working day of November. So we couldn't actually claim IS until the day after that !!!

but when I went back to work in early Feb they stopped the IS immediately as I was now "earning", despite the fact I wouldn't get any pay until the end of February -- so we lost out at both ends, and the pay I got at the end of October (the equivalent of 1 week at full pay) effectively had to cover all of Novembers bills as well as 2.5 weeks in February :mad:
    Cheryl
  • KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    I don't think that would be it, as i only earned £12 the whole time i was with them :rotfl: I really did try but i'm sure i was scammed more fool me! But a lesson learnt etc...

I haven't even had a letter from IS yet, i know from my statement that the money is from them but i assumed they would of sent a letter stating that my claim had gone through and i was be getting X amount weekly etc.

I'm just really annoyed it hasn't been back dated, not out of greed but simply because i've strugled for 4 weeks and added even more debt to my collection just to survive because they took so long processing the claim. :confused:
    Winging life....
  • mcc28_x
    mcc28_x Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When was the back dating for? Did you make your claim immediately to Income Support after work ended or was there a gap?

Did you receive WTC run-on?

Mark
    ====================================================
    mcc28_x
    :hello:

• KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    I put the claim in around 24th September, and it said on the claim form that it would be back dated up to 4 weeks. Yes i did get a WTC run on which was £250 so maybe that is why i haven't got it? Didn't even think of that.
    Winging life....
  • mcc28_x
    mcc28_x Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No I/S would be paid until WTC run-on ended. You've probably been paid from when it ended -check.

Mark
    mcc28_x
    :hello:

• KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    Yup that must be it because i got my WTC run on paid on the 15th october. I just hope my rent is covered now, and my nvq training will be paid :j Thanks, i can't believe it hadn't even crossed my mind i must still be asleep.
    Winging life....
  • Boppy_2
    Boppy_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    It is all confusing Katie, we had the same problems back in March regarding it all and useless ex-employers, they just don't care, I ended up having a massive arguement on the phone with head office at my old workplace regarding it as I had a family to feed. If I was you I would still give them a ring and get them to clarify when it is from and why from then if that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure