Capital letters?

Please help, I am going around in circles.

Do I need to use a capital letter in any of these examples:

I want to be a .......... eg. doctor, teacher, nurse
I am a .......... eg. as above
I went to university (U/u)
I am an Assistant Guide Leader?

I know this is off topic, but it's for a uni application form so sort of long term money related!?

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH I am driving myself mad!!!!

thank you

vtmil

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Any proper noun eg University of Leeds will have capitals (except the small word of). Common nouns eg teacher/doctor etc will be in lower case.
    In the case of an assistant guide leader, there are again many of them so they would also be lower case. However I think it is one of those where no one would notice the upper case version unless particularly good at grammar.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    i am a Brownie Leader and I would always write it in capitals like that; not sure if it is grammatically correct or not but as the above poster said it looks reasonable. My theory is that Guides, Brownies, Scouts etc are always written with a starting capital letter in their advertising material, books, badges etc etc etc so I should stick to that, I guessyou could write "Brownie leader" / "assistant Guide leader" but I would at least do that one word with a capital
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As Dee said, although I'd put Guide with a capital if it's the Girl Guides you are talking about. Although I'd probably specify that it's the Girl Guides I was talking about.
  • vtmil
    vtmil Posts: 282 Forumite
    Thank you.

You would not believe how much I have been stressing over those capital letters.

vtmil x
  • For future ref have a look at the Guardian Style Guide, it's what I use for these sorts of things!
    June: L'oreal Goody Bag:p:p*Virgin Vie Shimmer Powder :p
    July: Roja Dove Ltd. Ed. 'Time Out' Perfume:p*Veuve Clicquot Yellowboam Champagne*:p£1,500*:pSuperKettle:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure