🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Has your bank used a court order to turn unsecured debt into secured? Get paid £75!

Options
The Sunday Times would like to speak to someone who has been hit by a "charging order", one of those court orders that banks are using to turn unsecured debt into a debt secured against a borrower's home. Ultimately, they can be used to repossess a home.

The can offer an appearance fee of £75. If you'd like to get involved, please email [EMAIL="robert.watts@sunday-times.co.uk"]robert.watts@sunday-times.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Comments

• ridvimes
    Options
    I can confirm I am affected by this practice. I was self employed single mum on low income and maintenance from ex. Borrowed to grow tiny seedling business (£15k) and a hp car. Ex disappeared overseas, I could not pay mortgage and run business, loan used to pay mortgage, I had nervous breakdown and children to feed. Eventually got part time job then full time jobs (cleaning toilets, drink serving and gradually on and on. Companies refused to stop interest, I defaulted on two payments on the car and was advised by debt company just keep on paying and it'll be fine. Did not receive ccj, found out about claim of charging order. Attended court. Judge said you owe the debt have to doit. Now I have a charging order for £6000 for non payment of a few pounds over £600. I have not defaulted on my mortgage and always paid max I could to companies I owe. My children and I will lose everything. My ex -back in uk -not paid a penny of what he owes ...significantly more than the debt I originally owed but hey they all hike up the interest rate and add late charges and the government and courts do nothing to help us. I am not a deadbeat I work and work and work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport