Can I claim for increased childcare costs whilst on ML?

Options
I know this sounds odd but could I put in a claim to tax credits for increased childcare costs whilst I'm still on maternity leave?

I'm just asking because my daughter is at a nursery that is quite hard to get places for, a space has come up on a day I really wanted to get her in (because of my working hours when I go back) but I have to take it straight away or I'll lose it.

So does anyone know if I can do this please?

Comments

• Boppy_2
    Boppy_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt it as they'll argue your at home for now so you should be able to look after her. Best bet is to ring them.
  • L-M
    L-M Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks boppy

I do agree with you in theory, and it does seem silly to be wanting more childcare when I'm at home lol! As I said though it's purely to secure the place for when I return to work in a few weeks

I will ring them, I was just trying to figure out where I stood before hand, thank you for replying
  • kei_2
    kei_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Would be fine as long as you're on SMP and you return to work after the SMP, the system still classes you as working so it will take a rise in childcare costs regardless if someone is working over 16+ hours or being on SMP prior to working 16+ hours.

Assuming you qualify and costs don't go over the thresholds of what they pay out.
  • L-M
    L-M Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Kei that's great

I'm not on SMP I'm getting maternity allowance but I'm still classed as being in payed employment for the purposes of tax credits so I'm assuming the same rules apply?
  • kei_2
    Options
    That would be correct
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    Childcare payments continue at the same rate (providing you meet the criteria) through standard maternity leave - 39 weeks.

Not sure if they will increase when you actually dont need extra childcare and are not actually contracted to work that day at present.
  • kei_2
    Options
    Unless they have made a new system in the last year or so, which i would not assume not. They don't have a record of when people do and don't go to work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Even if they knew the OP was on Maternity Leave it is still within the rules to claim childcare during this period and if the costs increase there is still nothing against the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure