Silly Question RE Council Tax

Options
This morning i receive a letter stating i am in arrears with council tax for 2008/2009 which is fair enough maybe i am, except we have had our council tax paid for since March due to me being ill at the moment and my husband been carer.

What are the chances of them being wrong? Obviously i need to phone them either way because i can't afford to pay it before the date they state but i just wondered if i should question it or not.

Comments

• MrsKelly_2
    Options
    If you are in doubt then question it afterall if they say it is a mistake it means you don't have worry about finding the money but if they say it is correct you can arrange a payment plan with them (if you are on Benefits it wont be a large amount).
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you've been on council tax benefit and haven't had a noticification to say you are no longer entitled etc, then it is probably a mistake. Don't be afraid of phoning to ask. Good luck with it.

If it is an overdue amount, it will only get worse if you ignore it and they can only take what you can afford to pay but the sooner you arrange that, the better
  • Thrifty-saver
    Options
    I agree with simpywimpy. for the cost of a phone call, it's worth it. A similar thing happened to my aunt (who is 91) with her council rent, although she knew she had paid up to date. Took a month for the council to get their act together after we contacted them, & her payments went to some-one elses account. Eventually, she ended up with 6 months rent free (as a goodwill gesture, after we blagged that her health had been affected at her age by the sheer worry of it all)
  • Boppy_2
    Boppy_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone, i will give them a ring on Monday morning to find out for definite. I can't see it been right, it's not a lot of money but I just didn't think I owed anything. All confusing. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure