Free Theatre Tickets For Carers

Options
I have breast cancer, and although I seem confident on the outside, I need someone with me when I travel. I love to visit the theatre, but, being an impoverished pensioner (!) can't afford the prices for London shows.

Several theatres allow you to queue early in the day for cheap tickets, but I get tired quickly and cannot stand for long. I telephoned one of the theatres, explaining my situation, and asked if there would be anywhere I could sit whilst my friend queued.

They said that I met their criteria of disability:T , and that my carer would be free, which halved the price of our tickets. What's more, they said there was no need to queue. Since then, we've found that some theatres say this isn't their policy, whilst others are very helpful.

My cousin and her husband are taking their mothers to see a show at the O2, and when they explained both ladies were wheelchair users, they were allocated seats at the front, and told that both carers would be free.

It's nice to know that some theatres make this gesture.

Sandra Scarlett

Comments

• abr
    abr Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    went to see blood brothers at Birmingham hippodrome last night
    my wife is disabled and being as i am the carer i went in free
    my daughter booked the seats and they said that was their policy

it always pays to ask about disability rates both at theatres and cinemas
  • grandma3
    Options
    Gosh my friend has just sent me this web site, I cannot believe what I have learnt so far, I am disabled, I find it hard to walk and dont like to go places on my own. I live off benefits and it has been great to read about cinema and theatre tickets free for carers, I hope that I can now enjoy these thing that I have not been able to for a long time. And I will ask more about :j discounts for disabled people so I can pass them on.
  • terry_kantor
    Options
    Most west end theatres will sell tickets @ £20...all you have to do is phone to book and TELL them over the phone that you are disabled. No proof required.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    grandma3 wrote: »
    Gosh my friend has just sent me this web site, I cannot believe what I have learnt so far, I am disabled, I find it hard to walk and dont like to go places on my own. I live off benefits and it has been great to read about cinema and theatre tickets free for carers, I hope that I can now enjoy these thing that I have not been able to for a long time. And I will ask more about :j discounts for disabled people so I can pass them on.

And that's the whole point of this brilliant website. I forced myself to get out and about, with a friend, and when we discovered Megabus and Megatrain, with seats to places like Oxford, Southampton and Portsmouth, for £1 each way, I found I was so enthusiastic, that I forgot about my worries and woes.

I've signed up to all the railway websites, and have had excellent bargains from them as well, such as London to Brighton for £3. And I always read this web site and listen to The Great One :money: who, IMHO, should be running the country!

The restaurant 2 for 1 offers are brilliant, and we ALWAYS ask for tap water, so have an ultra cheap meal. By taking advantage of the theatre and cinema tickets we can have great entertainment, and if we fancy Going Out For a Jolly, and haven't much spare cash, we use our Freedom Passes and swan around on the buses and trains to different shopping centres, and lovely places like Regents Park, Hampton Court Gardens, Green Park, etc.

A couple of weeks ago we booked the Megatrain to Southampton (£2 return), then used our bus passes to get to Lymington in the New Forest. We sat upstairs on the bus, in the front seats, and the trees were so spectacular, that we felt we'd been on an Autumn Splendour trip as well! Obviously you have to put in a bit of work, sorting out the times of trains and buses, and you need to book well in advance, but what's a bit of time when you get such a bargain?

It rained heavily once when we'd booked, so we didn't go, but we only lost £2 each, and it was only the one time.

I emailed my MP and asked if we could visit the Houses of Parliament, and that was free too, and we've been to London Assembly meetings and watched Boris, who is very entertaining!

But my very best day out was yesterday, when we went to a recording of It Pays To Watch, and my question was televised.:T Martin and Ruth, and all the production team are great, and we had a marvellous and FREE time.

It gives me such a buzz when I get a bargain, and I've even got to the stage when we buy a coffee of asking "any free cakes for pensioners please?" - and d'you know what? Everyone laughs, and about 50% give us cake!!! Well, if you don't ask, you don't get!

I pass all my tips on to my friends, and I do hope you too will be able to get out and about and save lots of money.

Best wishes

Sandra Scarlett :j
  • Wazz42
    Options
    Hi there,
    Re cinema tickets free for carers. I went to this site and downoaded the form, something like £5ish for 3 years and we use it loads, they also make sure I have a good seat, lots of leg room or fidgeting room lol

http://www.ceacard.co.uk/
  • brierleyparker
    Options
    I was told, some months ago now, about the free theatre tickets for carers of disabled people. I also found out about the CEA card which costs £5.50 and is valid for 3 years in cinemas. With this card helpers go free. I then started wondering about other deals available so I did some phoning around to organisations we are members of and got a pleasant surprise. We get free helpers season tickest from our football club. All I needed for the season tickets was a Blue Disabled Parking Badge. The National Trust run a similar scheme, they issue a card for helpers. English Heritage also operate this scheme but don't issue a card for helpers all you have to do is ask for a helpers pass and you get in free. My local Theatre has a carers scheme and now that we get tickets that are free we are able to go to more concerts and productions than we were previously. And on top of this I found out that because I receive DLA higher rate mobility I am entitled to the Free Bus Pass or Gold Card as it is in my area. Hope this helps some of you to get the best out of your deals. If I find out about any more I'll let you know.
    :T :T :T :T
  • jetcat
    jetcat Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    from my own experience, when my carer rang Newcastle's Live Theatre to enquire about possible discounts for her as my carer, she was told that i would get a disability reduction and she (carer) would be entitled to a free ticket! The staff there were lovely as well, and the play was really moving, as it was about a family member who died at Deepcut army barracks.

I think if i didnt get the free carer ticket, i wouldnt have been able to attend, as i have to pay for her, and for obvious reasons, this was a play i really wanted to see!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure