Southern Electric Sole Suppliers of an area?

Options
I had a rep from Southern Electric at my door today saying that Southern Electric ran their pipes through our area - and don't have to pay any middle man for charges so they are cheaper than other suppliers and guaranteed their rates were cheaper and to switch. Does this sound normal? Is there such a thing as a middle man (company) with gas suppliers that push our rates up?

Comments

• fatlad1971
    Options
    Pammieruth wrote: »
    I had a rep from Southern Electric at my door today saying that Southern Electric ran their pipes through our area - and don't have to pay any middle man for charges so they are cheaper than other suppliers and guaranteed their rates were cheaper and to switch. Does this sound normal? Is there such a thing as a middle man (company) with gas suppliers that push our rates up?

No that is untrue , typical door to door salesman BS

I live in southerns region and i use Scottish power for my gas and electricity as they are the cheapest
  • WhistleBlower
    Options
    We've been told the opposite at work...

In our "in footprint" areas we aren't allowed to undercut other suppliers, as per industry standards.

(this was nearly two years ago i was told this though)
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    Although he could be telling you the truth that the pipes are owned by them, it certainly doesn't make them cheaper the above poster states they aren't allowed to undercut.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Pammieruth wrote: »

Have a look at some of the other threads about SE salesman and you should see that most of what they say is rubbish.

As the others have said, its usual sales rubbish that they come up with. Its unlikely they would be the cheapest supplier for you, and even if they were the cheapest supplier for you, the salesman wouldnt have put you on their cheapest tariff, so if you signed up through him then its unlikely to be the best deal you can get.

You didnt sign anything did you?
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • WhistleBlower
    Options
    Plushchris wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the other threads about [STRIKE]SE[/STRIKE] salesman and you should see that most of what they say is rubbish.

Edited for accuracy....i can confirm tha the salesmen we contract out to are equally as useless and underhanded. (Usually resulting in me getting yelled at but ah well)
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Edited for accuracy....i can confirm tha the salesmen we contract out to are equally as useless and underhanded. (Usually resulting in me getting yelled at but ah well)

Just our of interest, your guys that were at the ideal home show? Were they contracted liars our in house liars?

Either way they were some of the best/worst ive seen!
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • WhistleBlower
    Options
    No idea, probably contracted.

We don't really have an in-house eslaes team as such except those that you actually call in to when you actively want to switch...

But I could be wrong ^^ not really my area.
  • hayden
    hayden Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Am I wrong in thinking the the pipes and cables are actually owned by National Grid (includes the former Transco for gas distribution)? These other companies are merely the billing agents?
    may you live in interesting times
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hayden wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking the the pipes and cables are actually owned by National Grid (includes the former Transco for gas distribution)? These other companies are merely the billing agents?

Depends which part of the country you are in. Transco (when it was still Transco) sold off 4 parts of the network - Scotland (to Scotia, 1/2 owned by SSE), Northern England (part owned by United Utilities), Wales & the West Country (part owned by Macquarie Bank), & Southern England (Scotia again). Transco kept the other 4 for themselves and renamed themselves National Grid Gas (they were already part of the NG group)
    Even if there is a link in ownership, these distribution companies can't offer preferential terms to their affiliated companies.
    NG still own the high pressure pipes over the whole country (equivelant to the High voltage electricity cables).
    There are 7 different companies that own the low volatge local electricity networks (from the old 14 electrictiy boards, but National Grid own the high voltage cables (the 'national grid' of power lines)
    (I think I'm right about Macquarie bank - they are involved with one of them , as is a Canadian Pension fund)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure