PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does Apple Chutney Thicken during cooking or on standing?

Options
Hi

Following on from some really useful tips of things to do with tons and tons of apples I am making my first ever batch of apple chutney using the Nigella Lawson recipe from the Domestic Goddess book.

According to the recipe you cook the chutney for 30 - 40 mins until it starts to thicken. I am at 45 mins (about to turn off the gas) and it isn't very thick at all. The juice is still very runny.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Also if anyone has any other recipes for apple chutney I would love them too. This one is called spiced apple chutney and I think it is quite hot. I would like to make some for my family but they have an aversion to hot and spicy.

Thanks in Advance for your helpful (as usual) replies

Mummy Jo

Comments

• floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It really depends on the recipe I think.
    All of the chutneys I have made (3 different types) need long, slow cooking for at least 2 hours which produces a thick chutney that will hold a track mark of the spoon across the pan.
    I have used quite a few recipes from here and they always work really well http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/193/apple-chutney-recipe/
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Mine does not have a track mark. Do you think that it maybe should? If so I'll turn it back on and keep cooking. I've never made the stuff before and have no idea if it should be runny or not. I know it will be difficult for you to answer this question without being in my kitchen right now but I would be gutted if it turned out to be a sloppy mess. I did feel like I was beginning to achieve something by branching out and trying something new...

I will look at the other recipes that you mentioned though.

Thanks for replying
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Chutney will thicken slightly on cooling, but there should be very little liquid left before you bottle it ;)

I'll take a look for more chutney threads tomorrow for you :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • floyd
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, if you bottle it and tomorrow when its cool its thin, just lob it back in the pan and boil some more. As long as you thoroughly wash and re-sterilize your jars it will be fine. I have done this with failed jam and had no problems :)
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    She's certainly not a chutney goddess, I've never had a chutney evaporate enought to leave a 'track mark' when a spoon is drawn accross the surface in anything less than l an hours steady bubble & stir.

I've made a few gallon over the years, and cannot remember a 30min one, sorry to say she is a bit off track.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    floyd wrote: »
    You don't have much to lose, if you bottle it and tomorrow when its cool its thin, just lob it back in the pan and boil some more. As long as you thoroughly wash and re-sterilize your jars it will be fine. I have done this with failed jam and had no problems :)

I've had to do that with rhubarb & ginger jam before now, the extra work taught me to buy a jam thermomiter. (still trying to persuade hubby to plant a rhubarb crown in the garden since he had to give up the alotment, cause I get cravings for it) :)

Mummy Joe - I've made a lot of jam, chutney & pickles over the years. I used to read a chutney recipe book like others did a mills and boon LOL.

I'll have a look through some books and sites for you. PM me any time if you want advice
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • floyd
    Options
    I've had to do that with rhubarb & ginger jam before now, the extra work taught me to buy a jam thermomiter.

Thanks Wogglemaker,
    Are jam thermometers reliable for getting a good set? I bought one immediately after my failed apple jam but haven't got round to using it yet and I'm hoping to make more lime marmalade at the weekend so will give it a whirl :D

I am a new 'preserver' so just finding my feet with all the little foibles and tricks to get things right so its nice to have the advice of a pro :T
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    Floyd,

Call me old fashoned but I still use belt and braces approach and double check the results by putting a teaspoon of jam on a saucer in the freezer to cool quickly, then if its surface is crinkly when pushed, it's done.

PS remember to take pan off the heat while checking, if jams are boiled too much after the setting point is reached - it goes the other way and will never set,
    [/FONT]
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    She's certainly not a chutney goddess, I've never had a chutney evaporate enought to leave a 'track mark' when a spoon is drawn accross the surface in anything less than l an hours steady bubble & stir.
    Nor me ;) I usually just give up waiting and pot it anyway. It does thicken up a bit and I've never had any trouble with it keeping. My favourite recipe is Delia's Spiced Damson/Plum chutney.
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. I did boil - well cook it for another 40 mins last night and that seemed to have done the trick. I've never really made anything like this before I tend to stick to cakes and kids biscuits but I do like a bit of relish with my dinners. They are so expensive to buy though. I would like another perhaps milder apple recipe to try so I could make some for my family - this Nigella one is was too spicy for my mum. I was tempted to try Jam making but I think I am a bit put off for the moment. Maybe it is something I can work up to in the future.

Thanks Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport