Communication problems in the under 40's

Options
Does anyone know anyone with serious speech problems and have any tips on how to keep up their spirits. My sister had a stroke a couple of years ago and as not recovered her speech (a couple of hundred words). She is only 36 and has 2 young kids and has recently become a single parent.

Depression and frustration are understandably increasing. We live in Buckinghamshire and she could do with hearing a more positive side of things from someone who is recovering or has learnt to live with such a disability but there are no groups locally that have anyone of a similar age or similar circumstances.

Also any ideas about any type of work (voluntary would be fine) that she could embark on to get her out into society and feeling accepted, instead of ignored by other parents at the school gates who find trying to communicate too much of an effort.

Thanks

Comments

• lizb3112
    lizb3112 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your sister. Has she been in contact with Different Strokes (www.differentstrokes.co.uk/) a charity & support group specifically for younger (under retirement age) stroke victims?

I also came across this info on the MS resourse site when researching speech aids for my sister who has parkinsons. www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1486 Sorry its such long address but if you just go onto the MS resource centre it's impossible to find!

Hope this helps
    2009 - Tatton Flower Show tickets
    2010 - Atul Kochhur master class, Oban Chocolate Company Hamper, 2 Date Night tickets, Elmis facial scrub, 2 tickets to Isle of Man Bay Festival, £250 Travelex Card, Sports Watch, Aqua Pura vouchers
    2011 - £50 French Connection Voucher
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, it might be worth checking out this thread -

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1231719&highlight=speak+disability

hth

Daisy x
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've sent you a private message - hope you get it!
  • celticmoneysaver
    Options
    I had a stroke at 34 and it took some time to get speech back..
    http://www.stroke.org.uk/
    varies considerably what it offers in different parts of the country..in Stoke they had a system where you could be linked up with another Stroke survivor to give mutual support..
    they have next to nothing here but there is Dyspraxia nurse who works as a speech therapist

You could certainly ask for a speech therapist refferal, and we have a Rehab Consultant apparently in the area but have yet to find him..
    I also contacted Headway and found them very good
    http://www.headway.org.uk/

Keep asking her GP if there is anything he can offer..

Neurology is bottom of the list I have unfortunately found and you have to keep fighting and asking and explaining and asking and.. :rotfl:

Don't belive the medics that after a specific cut off time you can't get improvement..YOU CAN xx
    I tried different complementary therapies with some good results and personally had good results with taking Omega 3

Hope that is of some use xx it is pants but time will help;) and keeping involved in her kids learning will help her to do some relearning..
    Depression can be a side effect of the brains damge so again get her to her GP if you notice her getting particularly down
    All the best..not easy for you either xx
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    I was going to suggest headway
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure