We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Being held off on exchange for newbuild home

Hi
My offer on a newbuild flat was accepted months ago (around June), I got my mortgage and retained a solicitor. I've paid the reservation fee and had to wait months while the exchange date was moved several times even tho the flats had been completed for months. Eventually a new exchange date was agreed only to be moved for the umpteenth time. I've recently learnt from my solicitor that they are ready for exchange now (hard to believe) but would like a notice to complete rather than a completion date (which feels like they still have more delay tactics to pull).

My question is: before things become legally binding (exchange of contracts) can I still negotiate for or demand cash incentives such as payment of my legal fees or something (it may be too late for a discount on the price) citing their repeated/irritating delay tactics as a basis?

2ndly, have buyers absolutely no rights or fall-back tools in the event of such messing about before exchange? I've been losing money sitting around and the value of that property must surely be falling as the months tick by.

Thanks
«1

Comments

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,301
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You haven't exchanged contracts yet? Offer 20% less and be prepared to walk away. You may lose your reservation fee, but the price of properties is bound to have fallen by more than that.

    In any case, if the property is not yet built and ready to move into, do not exchange contracts. Otherwise, you can be caught in never-never-land, with a binding contract to buy a property that does not get built for years.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Offer 20% lower citing current market and set an exchange/completion date that is "time is of the essence". In that situation, if they fail to complete on the date agreed you will get some interest off them for the delay. Speak to your solicitor.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also, double check and get in writing their intentions of selling any for social housing. This might have changed since you started.
  • Thanks, you guys, getting on the phone to my solicitor right away
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    PN, could you explain if there is a difference between "social housing" and "housing association shared ownership". I can see the obvious difference in that shared ownership requires a percentage of the house to be bought by the "tenants".
  • boggie40
    boggie40 Posts: 140 Forumite
    balls in your court on this one.. you have everything in your favour, just depends weather you can face the prospect of not getting the property of your choice ??
  • Well, I made the call to the sellers. I think I might have hastily threatened to walk away if no re-negotiation was possible, rather than demanding an exchange date 'of the essence' first (failing which, compensation kicks in).
    The property is not the best available, it's just that the price is low (to match the neighbourhood). Not afraid to lose it, just concerned about having to start the process all over again elsewhere.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I thought you were going to consult your solicitor about the situation not the builders? Oh, dont worry, they will still be champing at the bit to sell the house to you - IF you still want it. Meanwhile, have a look around to see what else is on offer, just in case.
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    wealth001 wrote: »
    Well, I made the call to the sellers. I think I might have hastily threatened to walk away if no re-negotiation was possible, rather than demanding an exchange date 'of the essence' first (failing which, compensation kicks in).
    The property is not the best available, it's just that the price is low (to match the neighbourhood). Not afraid to lose it, just concerned about having to start the process all over again elsewhere.


    Don't think your anyway in the wrong here. its sounds like you have waited and waited for them to pull the thumb from out of their behind, so do exactly what the other's have said and offer less money. and if they make you wait again while they decide.....offer lower again (in the mean time find yourself somewhere else)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly


    I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Although you claim the property is complete and has been for some time, you say the developer has kept causing delays in exchanging contracts.

    Now you say that they will exchange but only with an open ended completion date.

    Now call me old fashioned, but developers build properties to sell at a profit and the quicker they can sell them (once completed) the more profit they make.

    It sounds to me the developer doesn't really want to sell the property to you. If you ask for a discount now, that might just convince them not to.

    I think I'd be inclined to go and find a property that a seller actually wants to sell.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.