We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Consumer rights help

I did post this on the sticky thread but nobody responded.

Can anyone help me with this one?
My Mum took delivery of a Debenhams 3 piece suite last week. She went in on Monday morning to say she was not pleased, she had waited 2 months for it and then she received items which were poorly finished. Chair looks like it is going to burst at the back, all items have staples showing (some neat, some sticking out, but showing nevertheless which cheapens it), and one sofa is burst underneath the cushion.
They are sending someone out to inspect it....well so they say, we chased it up yet again today. They said if it can be repaired then they will and it is up to the engineer if they offer a refund or not.
She doesn't want it repaired. She is sick of it and wants a refund. She paid almost £2,000 for the 3 pieces and doesn't want to pay that much for repaired goods. And she doesn't want a replacement either.
Any ideas?

She has received a letter confirming Debenhams' appointment on Friday and it just keeps going on about repairs which she doesn't want.

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,331 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If its been delivered and is not in perfect condition then I would ask for it to be replaced. If they had bothered to inspect it prior to deliverying it any small faults could have been fixed. Its not your mum's fault they have no quality control.
  • Lally
    Lally Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    She doesn't want another, is she within her rights to demand a quick refund so she can go elsewhere?

The whole thing was a disaster. She ordered it before she moved house so left her mobile number, she then got a letter written by a 5 year old (spelling mistakes everywhere, no puntucation, half in capitals half in lower case, used a ruler to write in a straight line - seriously) saying they had been trying to call her but her line was disconnected. Duh, try the mobile you were given. So it finally turned up, 2 months after ordering, in this state.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    if it doesnt meet merchantable quality then she has the right to a replacement, a repair or a refund.
    her choice.
    beware that once youve accepted a repair, its much harder to get a refund/replacement.
    btw.
    my mother bought a sofa bed, from debenhams many yrs ago now.
    it had faulty material, after 9 months. they replaced it with no problems at all.
    Get some gorm.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,801 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sorry - no advice to offer of my own on the situation but I have found the people at consumer direct to be very useful for giving you advice on how to deal with situations like this. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
  • Lally
    Lally Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The only option Mum was given was replacement of the 2 damaged items. So, the other 2 pieces arived today and they are a different colour. One a darker brown, the other a lighter and more reddish tone. Granted, you would need to be nosey to notice it, but when placed side by side it is noticeable.
    They are going to send someone out, again, for an inspection. What are her rights now? She didn't want replacements for this very reason.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Looks like they've accepted the first one was unacceptable, now it looks like they're going to have to accept they can't find a replacement that matches. Stay on their case and insist on a refund.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.