car insurance whilst i go travelling

Options
i am looking for some advice about car insurance on a car i do not want to sell whilst i go travelling for 6 months to a year, but would like my mother to continue to drive the car (she is covered 3rd party on her own car insurance). I have contacted my insurance company, and they have notified me that since i will be out the country my policy will cease and not be renewed.

What options does my I/my mother have to let her continue to drive my car? i have read somewhere about, transferring the registered keeper section of my log book to her?? then she can get insurance? but does this increase the numbers of owners on the car when i eventually go to sell the car??

Please advise, thank you

Comments

• farmerg
    Options
    can anyone suggest anything?

thanks!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just add her on to your policy as a named driver?
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    Would that not be 'fronting' if he is not going to be driving the car at all for the year whilst its insured?
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Not if the insurers are informed she is the main driver.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Why not just add her on to your policy as a named driver?

I don't think that's an option - the insurer (like most motor insurers) clearly only accepts policyholders that are permanent UK residents, so now that they know he will be out of the country for 6-12 months they won't cover it.

Simplest course of action will be for your mother to insure it, and to transfer ownership as necessary.
  • Quentin
    Options
    He is a uk resident - taking a six month holiday abroad.
  • raskazz
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    He is a uk resident - taking a six month holiday abroad.

Well, he does say "travelling for 6 months to a year" and that "they have notified me that since i will be out the country my policy will cease and not be renewed", so it seems fairly clear to me.

• Quentin
    Options
    His insurers may have "misunderstood"!
  • leviathan
    leviathan Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Either or, he told them so they have it on record. Bit late now the horse has bolted.
  • raskazz
    Options
    leviathan wrote: »
    Either or, he told them so they have it on record. Bit late now the horse has bolted.

Quite. They won't touch it with a bargepole now. No mainstream motor insurer will cover a risk where the policyholder and owner could well be abroad for the entire duration of the policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure