Advice on what to do with £80000

Options
Hi, new to all this and don't know where to start! I have £80k in a Barclays saving account at the moment. I know that i need to split this to ensure it is not at risk, however not sure where to go. It has been in the account since January but i need to sort it now. I have not invested as not sure how long to tie it up for or if i may need it. Also do not know where to turn for advice. I have been to Barclays advisor who has advised to split it into 3 different funds. As a complete novice i do not know if i would be doing the right thing! Any help or suggestions on what to do with it or reputable company to go to for advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    3 different funds? I hope he means savings accounts, not investment funds. Now is not the time for novice lump sum investments in the stock market!

You do have to make a decision yourself about how much access you need to the money. For example you might feel happy locking half of it away for a year or 2 years as long as you have instant access to the rest.

Having decided that you can set about choosing where to put it. You only need to split it into 2 accounts to get below the limits (unless you count a bank current account as the third). Maybe he was suggesting a cash ISA as the 3rd account? If so that's a good idea if you are a tax payer.

Look at the articles on this site such as this one to decide where to put it and this one to make sure sure the two organisations you place your money with don't count as one under the compensation scheme.
  • RuthLong_2
    Options
    Make sure you've used your cash ISA allowance for this year and split the rest between at least two accounts as above
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes I realised I had missed out Cash ISAs and edited my post just as you added yours!
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    Options
    Bury it and buy a gun.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • collingwood21
    Options
    In the present economic climate?

Spend it! ;)
    “Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money.”
  • jauntyangle
    Options
    Have you got a mortgage? Is so, it's a good idea to pay some of that off - or get some professional advice as to whether an offset mortgage is suitable for you.

Savings will either be eaten away by inflation, or interest rates will drop and the return won't be worth it.
  • bunty2
    Options
    Thanks. One was a guaranteed savings (on capital) the other 2 were investments. Do need to decide whether may need it in the next few years before going further.
    Thank you for your help.
  • bunty2
    Options
    Have looked at paying the mortgage off, but have a redemption penalty at the moment so not going that route!
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    bunty2 wrote: »
    Have looked at paying the mortgage off, but have a redemption penalty at the moment so not going that route!
    It's not uncommon to be able to pay off 10% or less of the debt each year and avoid the penalty. Check out the rules with your lender. It may be that you can pay off 10% now and 10% just after New Year.

Assuming the rate on your mortgage is more than the net rate on the best savings accounts.
  • skronk
    skronk Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I would spend it on:

Booze :beer:
    Fags :j
    Gambling :j

Women :j

You could just wast the rest.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories