Gas cetral heating or electric?? Advice wanted...

Options
sassgy
sassgy Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi... Looking for poeple's advice as a bit of a novice when it comes to heating systems.

We are just about to complete on a three bed semi house in Yorkshire that currently has two storage heaters - one upstairs landing one downstairs landing and a small electric fire in each room exc. kitchen and bathroom all of which definately need reaplacing.

What is our best option...

Gas? The property has no gas so this could be piped in at a cost of c.£400/500 and then a central heatig system installed. Would underfloor heating be a good idea? Has anyone had this done and what were the costs? Downstaris - two reception rooms, kitchen large hallway. Upstairs - three beds and bathroom.

Electric? Don't know too much about electric heating systems but get the impression they are more costly. Any advice?

Any info which people could provide would be much appreciated. We would be looking at keeping the property ten years plus.

Thanks

Sas

Comments

• ema_o
    ema_o Posts: 885 Forumite
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this too.
    We have recently moved into a property of about the same size with 2.5 storage heaters (one only gives off heat on one side?!) and we have decided to get gas piped in and to have central heating.
    It is a long term plan for us as well, we expect to be there for 5-10 years at least.
    We have been using econ 7 for storage heaters and I will be looking at the money we have spent so far (this weekend it will have been a month so checking it then).

Mostly I just want the convenience of being able to heat the house how we need it rather than heating overnight (then if the next day is warm we've wasted all that energy). I also have the impression that gas will work out cheaper overall.

We have been given a ballpark of £3,000 for the central heating and just over £600 for having gas connected.

We did look at underfloor heating for bathroom / kitchen - apparently that can be quite difficult as we will need to remove kitchen floor to a level where insulation and pipes can be put in. We will prob also look at idea of electric underfloor heating at some point.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Even at the recently increased price of gas, it is still considerably cheaper than any other form of CH.

Storage heaters are the next cheapest. However even though modern storage heaters are better at retaining heat than the older variety, they are still not as user friendly.

Electric heating on a daytime tariff is still by far and away the most expensive form of heating - approx 3 times more expensive than gas. Don't be fooled by adverts for 'modern systems'.

The advantage of both forms of electrical heating is that you don't require expensive servicing and they last for many years.
  • sassgy
    sassgy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the posts...

We've done a fair bit of research and gas is certainly looking more favourable. Quotes have generally come from friends/people at work but it looks like c£500 for installation and then anything from £3k upwards for the GCH installation depending on what radiators we go for. Would be thinking of a combi boiler.

I agree that we only tend to hear bed news stories about electric heating - costs etc.

Thanks also for the comments on under floor heating - didn't realise you had to higher the floor!!!
  • ema_o
    ema_o Posts: 885 Forumite
    Options
    Neither did I until we had the plumbers round!
    If you haven't already make sure you get a quote from Transco for piping the gas in - their quote was about £50 less than british gas for the same thing. And it might not be done in a hurry - they told us at least 6 weeks and probably more in the winter as we are a lower priority than people getting their heating fixed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure