What counts as disability?

Options

Comments

• an1179
    an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sorry that you have been subjected to abuse

I am fed up of ignoramuses, they poke their noses in where they are not wanted or needed. And where there is a need for help or assistance they look the other way

Don't let them get to you

People make judgements like they do because they are ignorant - it is no excuse I know but just get on with your life and enjoy your children
  • thermalaudio
    Options
    I used to work with a girl that claimed she was entitled to all of DLA because she was dyslexic, she claimed that she couldn't walk anywhere because she couldn't read road signs properly.. just because she had problems with reading she decided herself that she could claim benefits for not being able to walk.. (she could walk & run, she played netball & hockey) i'm sure she got caught out eventually..
    ***Signature removed by Forum Team***
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    I get that rubbish all the time. I'm 22 years old and have fibromyalgia, generalised hypermobility syndrome and bipolar disorder, so I can't drive, but all my health problems are invisible so I frequently get accused of faking and/or glared at when I sit in disabled seats on the bus. It makes me so angry - and I think "I wish I were as healthy as I look!"

I have never had that kind of attitude from anyone my age or younger. Isn't that a funny coincidence...
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • norangeduck
    Options
    Can any one help me understand this?
    Iv recently be told I have to have 2 hearing aids (im only 23) as have low frequency loss - and am now awaiting these to be fitted - in the meantime just a new job in health care, and the occupational health department, said i come under dda - so what does this mean practically, i told her i dont need any specific help, eg stethescope, i think she wants to see me - but what does the dda mean, can i claim benefits or anything?
    thanks
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can any one help me understand this?
    Iv recently be told I have to have 2 hearing aids (im only 23) as have low frequency loss - and am now awaiting these to be fitted - in the meantime just a new job in health care, and the occupational health department, said i come under dda - so what does this mean practically, i told her i dont need any specific help, eg stethescope, i think she wants to see me - but what does the dda mean, can i claim benefits or anything?
    thanks

Don't panic where i work they consider me disabled for being deaf in one ear and because i have an immune disease.

What it means to you is you will be protected if you are off sick with anything related to your illness, it will not go against you. It also means that if you need any special equipment to enable you to do your job then access to work will be involved. After a year of waiting I've just been given a very posh expensive chair to support my back and neck, and this gadget that goes over my keyboard to help with my paperwork when using a keyboard to help, and a nifty bit of equipment for me to use the telephone.

Be open and honest with them, it's all to your advantage to help you stay in work.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    looby-loo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with parking but as a teacher I had concerns about a blind child possibly being neglected at home.
    I rang Social Services and the woman said "She's not disabled, only blind so we can't get involved!"

Did you take this any further looby loo?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • eddy51
    eddy51 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    My son has always had severe problems in making sense of things. He lives in the minute and appears to have a very poor working memory. He forgets mid sentence what he is talking about.. Over the years this has turned into a personality problem and he has severe mood swings. He was diagnosed first with ADHD and then Thought Disorder by a consultant called Fynn Cosgrove 10 years ago.
    He has been on DLA for 13 years now and still even certain friends say there is nothing wrong with him hes just crafty. It breaks my heart to hear this when he has such problems. How can he even explain his disability when asked? He refuses any help because of the stigma. When I try to back him up I am accused of being an interfering parent. My heart aches for him it is so sad.
  • pompeyfaith
    Options
    Good Evening All,

I had a stroke in may 1990 at the age of 24 which left me paralyzed down my right side after much therapy I got myself walking again and back to work full time in all i was off work for 12 mths.

Now i still have problems but I manage one way or another I have a club right hand ( god I hate that term) stiff right wrist a right foot that drops gets worse the further I walk and a curvature in my back.

Now September 07 I was made Redundant I got some temporary work but that dried up in April 08 due to the recession. so I signed on for work and went for many interviews but got no where you see soon as I walk in for the interview they see my hand and that puts me on the backfoot Ive done NVQ training in computing re-sat English and maths and got good passes but has got me no where if fact one employer said blimey what you doing here mate you should be at home getting dla yup I was quite put out.

Anyway I gave up looking for work and instead i went to see my GP he signed me off work and got me more therapy but even he does not understand my situation fully I sent him a DDA pro-forma so my son could get the full £30 EMA and the GP just stated weakness down right side and as he has worked for the last 18 yrs i would not class him as being under DDA.

The problem I have now is where all my weight has gone on my leftside over the years i get pain in my left hip and knee.

I am currently on long term I.B but getting really bored I'm thinking of doing voluntary work if it does not effect my I.B that is.

My question is do you think by what I've told you I'm disabled and because I have very very limited use of my right hand ( I score 15 points) I would qualify for DLA.

Regards

Pompeyfaith
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Just to say that for this site - a person with disability is self defining, if you think you are you are. The only time this won't apply is if someone is using it to disrupt the use of others in the forum.

Martin

pompeyfaith

What do you mean you score 15?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lady_K wrote: »
    pompeyfaith

What do you mean you score 15?

I thought for what was IB or the new ESA you had to get at least 15 points.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family