PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help!! Mould And Damp In Property Im Renting Whats My Rights???

Options
13»

Comments

• carlyjadex
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
    so much for all your replies i basically done what everyone suggested i involved evor health the council and se-eked legal advice!!
    surprise surprise soon as the council came and done a survey showed that conditions are not acceptable a gave the letting agents notice to fix it.
    think this scared them as it as be booked for next week for the roof to be fixed!!! yessss!!!!
    the damp else where in house is also going to be sorted but its not going to be over night i understand it takes time to fix!"!

also the land lord seems to have mysteriously recovered to full health!!

i also suggested they fixed the whole roof as it is also next doors which has been damaged and they have agreed!

just shows kicking off does work eventually!!

now fingers crossed they will keep to there promise!

thanks again carly x
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great news!! :T

Best of luck with it and let usknow how you go on
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    i told you the landlord wasnt ill lol
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • emma_ellie
    Options
    Hi There i Just found this site hopefully someone can help me ..I currently rent a private property 2 bed house its on a 12month tennecy bassics im only at 4months and i have just ofund mold on my walls..Theress condensation on windows and mold has been ound in every room except one .my frount door is jsut ice and the cold is always getting in i have to put devets near my door surely thats not right i ahve rung my estate agegt twice on the matter although no action was taken ..i have a 13month year old daughter and i have asthma myself shes recently got a chest infection and i think it is caused by this i really dislike this house is there any chance of counsel can help rehome me or leaving ealry and getting my deposit back..i keep cleaning it all the tiem and its started to make my cheast hurt i really need some help and some rights for tennets there must be somethink i can do for them to lisin were only a young family and its not right ..please hope someone coudl advice me waht do do its just consently cold ice on doors condensation on windows damp and modl growing on walls ine everyroom its embarring to explain to poeple :obut its not my fault hope someone can help thank youuu

emma :)
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    emma- i suggest you start a new thread for yourself.. i think you will get more responses that way
  • Smalls87
    Options
    i've had a similar problem to this, in my case there was a dodgey storage cupboard/ small room built onto the bathroom. the outside brick hadnt been properly sealed, in fact it hadnt been sealed at all, they'd just put sheets of plaster board up on 3 of the 4 walls.

its a very small top floor flat, so we thought it was great having this storage cupboard, to stow things out of the way. after 5/6 months alot of the stuff we'd put into this cupboard had to be thrown away, it was covered in mould and no amount of washing or scrubbing would shift the smell, electrical goods no longer worked either.
    does anyone know if theres any way we can claim from our landlord for damages to our possesions??

we've also got a problem with the windows in the house, just a typical nickle and dime kinda job, where they clearly havnt spent any money putting the place together, the frames of both sky light windows in the kitchen are rotting,when it rains water runs down the walls. The PVC windows in living room, bedroom and bathroom, you can actually see outside when you look along the frame, where it meets the wall....im sure if i were to hit the window hard enough it would drop right out..but i dont dare do it!!

we've asked things be fixed, at least 6 months ago...our estate agent STILL hasnt sent anyone round to look at the problems. we have contacted the council, they've been round to survey the problems and have said the windows have got to be replaced, without doubt!...what does the landlord do?? 2 months after the councils original letter to them, they sent round a man with a tin (that i can guarantee is about 10 year old) of "waterproof" paint to paint the rotting window frames!!!

please, any advice would be welcome on what on earth we should do!!! if they don't and won't listen to the council, where do we stand?!
    please help we're at our wits end and cant afford to move! :(
  • flower2
    Options
    i have also got a similar situation!
    i have recently moved in to a new build flat. i moved in on 11.7.11 so been there just over a month.
    after spending the day sorting all unwanted stuff out i thought i would tackle my wardrobe,after pulling out clothes and bags i seen what looked like cobwebs on the back panels of the wardrobe!
    when we pulled it all out we discovered green mold growing up the wall. it is all over my wardrobes inside and out to the extent that the back has now fallen off! it is all over the bottom panels of my bed and the drawers of my bbedside table.
    i spoke to my landlord who is an old work college that has recently moved to australia. he advised me to speak to my letting agency as they need to speak to the roperty developers (taylor whimpey). after speaking with them and taylor whimpey they said it is not an emergency and would not send anyone out until it was a health risk!! this was a week ago!
    since then it has started in my bathroom and second bedroom. when i asked about who would be b uying me a new wardrobe and bed the estate agent might as well of laughed in my face saying "the land lors or estate agent is not liable for that and it is down to the tenant"
    ive had so many problems with this property ie i cant keep a curtain pole up as it rips out of the wall!!
    i dont know where i stand or what im supposed to do!! could someone please help me!!! im stuck in this property until next july and paying £650 rent per month while im staying at parents!!!!!!
    heellpp!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport