Disabled Facilities Grant

Options

Comments

• Broken_hearted
    Options
    I'll agree with the it's not fair aspect. We can't even get help from charities as the only help families with disabled children. How the hell they expect me to do £20,000 worth of adaptations while stuck on IS as a carer I don't know.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    dont know if this is of use to anyone, but if you go to the library and ask for a book from their reference section (cant take it away so a big pad and pen) its called something like 'grantmaking charities and trusts' and you will be amazed at what you can get!!! it will specifiy for children and /or children with disabilities and what and who else they give to, and you just apply! apply for as many as you can, they take their time so dont just do one and wait to see what happens. a lot of them also only do a couple of application intakes a year, so get down there and see if you can find anything. have to say that the local round table are always good for stuff needed for kids, and of course the children in need and the lottery grants. long waiting lists i know but all are always worth a try. but do try and find that book, its amazing whats in there. and good luck to you all.xxxx
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    What About Adults?????????????
    Barclaycard 3800

• sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    loads in there for everyone!!! take a look, you may be pleasantly surprised. so many charities and trust just waiting to give it all away to good causes. xxxxx
  • mcspanna
    mcspanna Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, this site has the same content as the book recommended by sandraroffey

http://www.grantsforindividuals.org.uk/
    "According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible" Bee Movie 2007
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    BH there is a site (trying to find it for you) it lists charities by professions..eg rowland hill fund for the post office,textile workers benevolent fund,printers fund etc.Most jobs have a charity which you can often apply to for hardship grants.
    I just know I've got it bookmarked somewhere!! Will go search now for you :D
    Can't find the link but heres one I found while looking..
    http://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    http://www.charityportal.org.uk/cgi-bin/engine/hyperseek.cgi
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Thank you all. Will have look later. Sometime I feel so lonely and scared, like there is no-one out there who carers. Like we are invisable.
    Barclaycard 3800

• sandraroffey
    Options
    i didnt get on well with the online stuff. it all seemed to be aimed at individuals who were doing stuff for organisations which was rather not the point. i found the book by far the better option.xx
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just a glimmer of hope on thr DFG. My daughter 10 has autism and epilepsy. Last year the whole family where involved in a very serious car accident, she was the only person not to be injured. Both myself and DH sustained serious whiplash injuries which made caring for our daugter more challenging particulary bathing as we had to bend over to wash her etc also she needed support to get in and out of the bath god knows how we would have got her out if she had had a seizure. Our social worker came on his annual visit and I mentioned that my daughter needed a wheelchair due to decreasing mobility He contacted the OT to assess my daughters mobility. I just say yes to all agencies now seems much easier than fighting all the time. The OT phoned to say she couldn't help with the wheelchair but asked if we needed any other help. I just asked for a bath seat to make bathing DD easier. Out they came looked at the bathroom and promptly said we needed to get rid of the bath beacause our daughter has seizures. They filled in the paper work there and then for the DFG. Total bathroom refit, level access shower, closomat toilet, new smaller sink with lever taps. I was told 6-9 months in in februrary this year. Well it was done first week in April!!! Never had I thought we would be given a DFG didn't know anything about it. The bathroom has been finished to a very high standard by contrctors who work for the council and has been fantastic for our daughters needs. When the shower died a few weeks ago 1 phonecall later and the electrician arrived within the hour,he couldn't fix it so they contacted the shower supplier who arrive first thing the next morning same when the toilet flush wasn't working. I would say ask the OT to assess your sons needs particullary if his behaviour effects the rest of the family may be worth trying to allow him to share a room with one of the others to emphasize the point! That way he may be entitled to the DFG to assisst him having his own space. Do you have a social worker? They may help.
  • john_long_2
    Options
    Hi do you know you can reclaim the VAT on work essential for disabled people you go to [EMAIL="charities@hmrc.gov.uk"]charities@hmrc.gov.uk[/EMAIL] they are quite flexible and very helpful if you explain everything to them
    best of luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport