iPod usability

Options
My mum has expressed interest in an iPod for a present so she can listen to music and audiobooks. She has a PC, so should be comfortable using iTunes. She did have a stroke a few years ago, though, and this has affected her eyesight. She has her pc set to larger icons and can read that ok.

I was wondering which iPod to buy for her: a nano, or a touch one. The screen is bigger on the Touch, so she could store photos on it, but the nano does allow for larger fonts, from what I've read. I only have an ipod shuffle, so have no experience myself of using the other two. It must be easy to use (and read) for my Mum. I could ask her, or take her shopping for one, but really wanted it to be a surprise for her birthday.

I was hoping someone on this forum may have had experience of using the ipods and could help me in making my mind up.

Thanks,
Debbie

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Another good thread for our new Dosh and Disability I think as this question covers all ages and disabilities. I have a Creative Zen myself so can't comment on the Ipod.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I can't comment on the i POD, but I would say that my mobile drives me nuts as I can't read texts without first locating my glasses, so if I had an i-pod having font large enough to able to read the text would be a pre-requisite.

Or you could try the 4G nano which has been designed to increase the nano's accessibility for people with 'vision issues'

More info here......

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=2821
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • bladerunner73
    Options
    Not sure if your Mum has her heart set on the ipod but it might be worth investigating the Archos mp4 players - currys have them on offer I think - the memory is 40gb for about £80 but the bonus is that they have a 4.3 inch screen, I'm not sure if they are compatible with audio books but it might be worth a look I bought an 80gb one for my OH for christmas instead of a touch.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0068921214.1224108153@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadefgmhmjehcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=026236&category_oid=
    2014 20p savers club #2 I've given up trying to keep track of how much that pig eats!
    2014 £2 savers club #3 - I've no idea, but the pig is beginning to get mighty heavy :eek:
    Sealed pot challenge No.7 #088
  • Runnybabbit
    Options
    Hi Debbie

I am profoundly deaf in my right ear and have a 75% loss in my left. I use an Ipod which I personally find brilliant. There are attachments that you can buy which insert into the hearing aid so you don't need to use headsets. Your audiology department at your local hospital can give you the website address. Personally I wouldn't be without my Ipod now.

Babbit xx
    :D Opinions are like bottom holes, we all have one :D
  • fedupconsumer
    Options
    If i were you debbie i would give the sansa e260 a consideration

http://www.picstop.co.uk/MP3-Players/Sandisk-Sansa-e260-MP3-Player-4GB-%2B-Live-Lounge-Vol.-II-Album-%28CD%29

Its similar in design to the ipod and its navigation wheel lights up and will be better to see and the screen size is vibrant and has a setting that limits the volume too and much cheaper and it stores video and pictures on which can be made into a slide show. I have had the player for a while and its easy to use it may not have the computability to itunes but file conversion is simple
  • East_Coast_Girl
    Options
    debbie42 wrote: »
    My mum has expressed interest in an iPod for a present so she can listen to music and audiobooks. She has a PC, so should be comfortable using iTunes. She did have a stroke a few years ago, though, and this has affected her eyesight. She has her pc set to larger icons and can read that ok.

I was wondering which iPod to buy for her: a nano, or a touch one. The screen is bigger on the Touch, so she could store photos on it, but the nano does allow for larger fonts, from what I've read. I only have an ipod shuffle, so have no experience myself of using the other two. It must be easy to use (and read) for my Mum. I could ask her, or take her shopping for one, but really wanted it to be a surprise for her birthday.

I was hoping someone on this forum may have had experience of using the ipods and could help me in making my mind up.

Thanks,

Hi Debbie I have got really lousy eyesight and also use a larger font etc on my computer and I have got an ipod touch which I absolutely love.
    Because of the large screen the normal font is quite a nice size but also you don't even have to go through a text list of albums/audiobooks etc to select which one you want, you can just flip through a visual display of the album covers and select that way.
    Hope this helps.

Just like to say it's great to finally have a disability thread on MSE.
    52 Week Challenge £10/£1378
    1% Challenge ,=1%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family