Used Car Guaranty ???

Options
Hi

I bought a used car from a local garage about 3 weeks ago, since then i have had a air bag warning light come on and also a loud rattling noise coming from the engine which i have resently found out requires a new oil pump and various other parts costing roughly £700 to repair. Does the garage have to offer any kind of guaranty or have to contribute towards any of the repairs as i have had the car only a small amount of time, I have tried calling the garage and asking for where i stand but he just keeps saying it was fine when you bought it, and how do i know you havent caused the damage, Also i bought the car on CC is there any way they could refund some of the costs if the garage doesnt as i haven't actually recieved the item in full working condition or does this not count with Vehicles?? :confused:

Many thanks in Advance for all your help. :D

James

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is some info here on your rights with second hand vehicles.
    So I suggest you read it and move very fast.
    The longer you do nothing, the poorer your case.
    If you put something in writing then send it recorded delivery (about 70p) and keep the orange receipt. It means the dealer can't say they didn't get it.
    Also do you have any legal advice or cover on your home insurance?
    You may be able to get advice for free?
    Or you might even get legal cover for free?
    Another option is to talk to your credit card company.
    But whatever you do move FAST.
    Hang around and you threaten your case, because the likelihood of you causing the damage or wear and tear just increases and weakens your case.
    Taking action in the small claims court is another option.
    Of course everything is in the context of the age and price of the vehicle and what is "reasonable".
    Hope that helps.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm
  • johny_horizontal
    Options
    vehicles a 54 plate astra cost 4000 so dont really want to be spending another 1000 to get the vehicle in working condition.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport