🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I get a full refund? - Cancel insurance due to their error

Options
Hi all
I recently bought a van for private use and commuting to work.

I used tesco compare to get insurance quotes and e-van insurance was the cheapest so i took it out, paying £121 deposit.

When the paperwork came through the post, it had the insurance as sole trader, not private use.

As they dont have call centres, only email customer services, I emailed them to explain and to ask them if they could send through the correct insurance certificate.

I was informed that this could not be done and that I would need to cancel the insurance and then take out a new policy.

So I cancelled, and went to re-insure only it was far more expensive, so I decided not to take it out and go with a different company instead.

When I emailed them to explain, they told me I was only entitled to £34 refund as that is partly to cover the insurance for the time I had taken it out, but also included £25 non-refundable direct debit charge and £50 cancellation fee.

I asked if they could waive the £50 as it was not my fault, but so far they have said no and have refunded the £34.

Does the 14 day "cool off" period not apply to insurance? Should I have to pay the cancellation fee when I filled in the information correctly?
Where do I stand?

I'm thinking i should atleast get the £50 back, if not the £25 as well. I can kind of understand paying for "services rendered" as obviously the van was insured (although incorrectly).

Any advice / help greatly appreciated.
embarrassed to say I used to work for barclays..sorry

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have proof that it isn't your fault?
    e.g. screen printouts.

You case will be strong with printouts but weak without.
  • llol_slim
    llol_slim Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Do you have proof that it isn't your fault?
    e.g. screen printouts.

You case will be strong with printouts but weak without.
    Idont have screen prints, but i might be able to retrieve the quote details from Tesco.
    I'll have a look.
    Is it useless without them then?
    Thanks for the response :)
  • llol_slim
    Options
    I've just looked at my saved details, and I have on there:
    Van Useage : Social Only

How many months has your business been established? : Not applicable

I could provide them with the reference so they could check themselves, but they could also change the details themselves ..

63534387by5.th.jpgthpix.gif
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    llol_slim wrote: »
    I've just looked at my saved details, and I have on there:
    Van Useage : Social Only

How many months has your business been established? : Not applicable

I could provide them with the reference so they could check themselves, but they could also change the details themselves ..

63534387by5.th.jpgthpix.gif

That doesnt look like a valid submitted page to me but more a page where your in the process of choosing options but have not submitted yet.

Do you have the final printed quote page which doesnt have changable tick boxes, but instead exactly what you chose?

Tbh I dont think you have a leg to stand on as you or the comparison site have clearly not asked for a quote for the right service
  • llol_slim
    Options
    That doesnt look like a valid submitted page to me but more a page where your in the process of choosing options but have not submitted yet.

Do you have the final printed quote page which doesnt have changable tick boxes, but instead exactly what you chose?

Tbh I dont think you have a leg to stand on as you or the comparison site have clearly not asked for a quote for the right service
    that's what I meant really, you dont have a summary page, but you can go back to check your details. Which is what is a screenshot of :( This sucks it wasnt my fault and I am seriously out of pocket.
  • DB9
    DB9 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Evan insurance, customer service Helpline: 0845 219 0586.

Team leader is Ben.

Complaints to:

Complaints Dept
    E Group Ltd
    MMT Centre
    Bristol
    BS35 4BL

I'm also having the same problem, only they amended my policy then cancelled it within 4 hrs!! I have all the proof as it came via registered post and e mail.
    good luck and let us know what happens as I am still waiting for a manager call back from Friday.

dont forget you can also complain to the FSA & FSC
  • llol_slim
    Options
    Lovely, thank you
    Who is the FSC? FSA I recognise but not FSC.

Thanks again :) Good luck aswell
    DB9 wrote: »
    Evan insurance, customer service Helpline: 0845 219 0586.

Team leader is Ben.

Complaints to:

Complaints Dept
    E Group Ltd
    MMT Centre
    Bristol
    BS35 4BL

I'm also having the same problem, only they amended my policy then cancelled it within 4 hrs!! I have all the proof as it came via registered post and e mail.
    good luck and let us know what happens as I am still waiting for a manager call back from Friday.

dont forget you can also complain to the FSA & FSC
  • DB9
    DB9 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Your welcome,

the FSC is: Financial Services Commision. :D

They have offered me a £53.64 refund!!
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options

Yes, it does look like the comparison site is probably at fault here. Raise the complaint with Tesco not eVaninsurance.

The status of the proposer (sole trader, private individual etc) is asked at the start of eVaninsurance's own quotation form and the question on usage is asked separately.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    DB9 wrote: »
    Dont forget you can also complain to the FSA & FSC

No, you can't. You can, however, complain to the FOS if the firm does not resolve your complaint within certain timescales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport