🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

RBS - Cheeky swines.

Options
I went in one of their branches a few weeks ago to pay in a cheque and whilst waiting in a queue, one of their staff asked if I had a few minutes to spare to see if I could save money on my home insurance.

Not being in a particular hurry I agreed and was taken in an office and given the spiel for 20 minutes or so. I told the girl that my existing policy with a different company was not up for renewal until next May but if they sent the bumf through the post I'd have a think about it. The documents duly arrived and I decided it wasn't for me and binned them.

Lo and behold, I was browsing through my direct debits online and noticed that an initial payment had been made to RBS Insurance, so I immediately phoned their call centre to ask what the hell was going on as I had not authorised the transaction, I was told there was a problem with some branches doing this and I was by no means the first person this has happened to. I've been with the RBS for twenty odd years and always found them to be very efficient but if this is how they are now playing the game I think the time is right for a switch of banks.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should raise a complaint and the person that mis-sold it would then have their process reviewed. Banks currently have the worst reputation for selling things. Only way to get that ended is for complaints to be made when necessary.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mushy61
    Mushy61 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the member of staffs' name. I do feel like writing a letter off to their head office though
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You dont need to know the name (although the letter confirming the advice given should be signed by the individual). The same will be recorded centrally against that individual.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport