Unpaid Insurance Premiums...

Options
My gran was recently admitted to a care home following several years of decline with alzheimers disease. We recently tried to renew her home/buildings insurance with the Halifax until such time as we can sell her flat, only to be told that she hasn't paid her premium for the last 3 years and we now owe them close to £1000. When asked if they wrote to her, they said they would have at least one in that period. Apparently she was a valued customer (! 3 years of unpaid premiums = valued) and so they didn't cancel the policy. Gran now has no money given it all goes on her care...what do we do? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• grogdog
    grogdog Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    tell them were to go.

if she normally paid by dd this would just have carried on at renewal unless they were told otherwise.

is she normally paid by cheque or cc , she would have had notification to pay by a certain date to renew and if payments were no made the policy should have cancelled automatically.
  • money_maker_3
    Options
    if it was paid via a mortgage account or a deedstore account, then the mortgage pays it every year and it is up to the customer to pay the mortgage back. not right I know, but it is how all of the old accounts work
    The two best things I have done with my life
    :TDD 5/11/02 :j DS 17/6/09 :T
    STOPTOBER CHALLANGE ... here we go !!
  • Tighthead
    Options
    Check the terms and conditions. It will tell you what should happen in the event on non-payment. Usually, policy will lapse after a time due to non-payment of premiums.

How was she paying the premiums in the past? i.e. DD, cheque?

I wonder if they'd be so generous if your Gran had made a claim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure