Critical Illness/ Life Insurance non payouts on claim

Options
I have just watched Martin on tonight with Trevor McDonald and I am shocked that non of the experts or insurers mentioned the fact that you can actually get the policy fully underwritten before acceptance of terms are offered by the insurer and best of all they normally give you free insurance whilst they do their checks.

My advice to any potential new policy holder is ask your advisor or insurer to gain access to your medical records if you are in any doubt whatsoever as this will enable the insurance company to price the cover accordingly.

As the ABI has now ensured that non disclosure has no real grey arears customers should be better protected in the future.

Dont leave anything to chance!
consumerism

Comments

• calaf
    Options
    on a policy because there has been a non disclosure, as was the case in the programme tonight,

since it is a null and void policy, why is the person who has paid into the policy for how ever many years not entitled to all the money that has been paid into the policy being refunded?

Surely if the policy has been deemed to be void by the company they have therefore taken the money in error.

They talked about "honest customers". Is it honest to tell customers that they won't pay out for non disclosure.

If they only found out once a claim was made, what is the difference to completing a check at the start? It seems a little ludicrous to say they won't pay out on a policy that has in good faith been paid into and then keep that money when they have made their decision.

Just imagine if the companies had to refund all those people!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    since it is a null and void policy, why is the person who has paid into the policy for how ever many years not entitled to all the money that has been paid into the policy being refunded?
    Because the policyholder committed fraud.
    Just imagine if the companies had to refund all those people!

A very small number of claims are rejected for non-disclosure nowadays. Typically around the 5% mark. Some of the non-disclosures are disgraceful try it ons. Its a bit hard to forget heart attacks from 2 years earlier for example.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    Remember a few years back, I saw a client walking down the street to the office I used to work at, smoking a cigarette.

He had come to arrange a life insurance policy.
    When he said that he was a non-smoker, I pointed out that, technically you had to have given up for at least a year, not a minute :rotfl:
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    Martin Lewis is getting a lot of stick in my office today.

Needless scaremongering about people who don't disclose the full info.

Its like when people get repossessed and blame the interest rates or car insurance not paying out as they now have points on their license (everything is explained at the start)..

Does my head in.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont understand the attacks now on the insurers. A number of years ago maybe but since the FOS came out with a non-disclosure process and insurers started publishing claims stats then it has turned into a non-issue for most.

It's only an issue for the liars and maybe the odd case which an insurer does get it wrong and the FOS would sort out.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure