Fixed-term bond break

Options
Does anyone know if banks/BSs involved in mergers and takeovers are legally obliged to allow savers to close fixed-tem bonds early? - and if so, without penalty?

All the work to stay within compensation limits can be undone leaving you dangerously exposed. I know KE offered break rates, but many others only seem to allow closure for genuine personal disasters. Nationwide/Derbyshire? Lloyds/HBOS?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    are legally obliged to allow savers to close fixed-tem bonds early? - and if so, without penalty?

No and No. Only if they break the terms that were offered can they offer you a clean break.

Lloyds and HBOS are going to use individual licences for a while. Most fixed term deposits would have matured before they go to one licence.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cos69
    cos69 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if banks/BSs involved in mergers and takeovers are legally obliged to allow savers to close fixed-tem bonds early

You only get the terms you signed upto when you took the bond out; sometimes there is mention of takeovers/mergers in the T&Cs. Its an interesting point you have raised and one that could be taken up with the FSA since they have to authorise these mergers - the result should not end up leaving you with less protection when they give the go ahead for a merger
    "How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" - John F Kennedy 1962
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure