Icesave - Illegal Activity??

Options
I removed all of my money from my Icesave account (except 200 pounds) to keep the account open (not sure why!) on Monday 6th October.

On 7th October I logged on to find that the bank were no longer processing any transactions. My statement showed that my transaction on the 6th had been fully processed and cleared and my cleared balance was 200 pounds. I now just had to wait for my money to reach my linked account (HSBC).

On 9th October Icebank posted a 'Correction' to my account and have reversed my fully legitimate transaction. Is this allowed? They said they were unable to post transactions from 7th Oct yet they have posted a correction on 9th Oct to reverse a fully legitimate transaction that I made on 6th Oct.

This money should now be safe in my HSBC account if they had acted correctly and instead it looks like I will have to claim to the the UK government who will have to find the 8,500 to pay me.Please see attached.Is there anything I can do?

Many thanks.
Adam

Comments

• dougz_2
    dougz_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loads of us in this boat, check the existing threads
  • willyontour
    Options
    Thanks for that. Can you point me in the right direction. I can see lots of people with money in iceland but none that moved it out before 7th Oct.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is normally a cut off time in the day. If you did your transaction late afternoon/evenening on the 6th then it would be as if you did it early on the 7th.

On the other hand if you did it early on the 6th I would have expected it to have completed in time.
  • Seajays
    Seajays Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Wibble
    Wibble Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    On the other hand if you did it early on the 6th I would have expected it to have completed in time.

Not necessarily - if you did a BACS transfer on the Monday (like I tried) then although it shows on your account soon afterwards it doesn't actually leave the bank for several days. BACS transfers can take 3-4 working days and part of that is because the bank doesn't have to send the money immediately.

So when IceSave collapsed the next day your money was still in the bank as the process hadn't been completed, despite it showing on your statement.

There's nothing that can be done - it's as frozen in IceSave as the rest of our money. The fact you tried transferring it the day before it collapsed doesn't make any difference.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whoops! Got my dates mixed up. For some reason I thought the 6th was more than 4 working days before the cut off. It seems so long ago already.

Best not to take advice from me. I don't even know what day it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure