Will XBox360 bought in Germany work in Canada?

Options
My employer is using them as prizes for a giveaway and has ordered 3 today from ebay, but the seller is in Germany, will the XBoxes work in Canada or will we need to get some kind of adaptor? Thanks!

Comments

• brummybloke
    brummybloke Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunno but he better be loaded.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • Fraserca
    Fraserca Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Software issues ? Dunno - Isn't Canada lumped together with the US for software releases and there may be a European tie in.
    What about Pal or NSTC standards for the TV - I imagine that it will give both outputs but its worth checking.

Meanwhile, relax and enjoy yourself - It could be a long wait.....
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Canadian mains voltage is 110v, not 240v.

I'm not an expert on XBoxes, but unless it comes with a switch to change the incoming voltage (like PC power supplies) or is voltage sensing, it will simply go bang!

Also, Canada is on NSTC tv format, not PAL/SECAM, so there could well be a problem with that.

Another potential problem - as Xbox games are on DVD, are they region-specific like PS2 games?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    Options
    If someone does know whether the games are region specific that could help!
    Thanks
  • Teak
    Teak Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't ask that question on this board. It'll get deleted as it could be a legally grey area.
  • squirrelz
    squirrelz Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Teak wrote:
    I wouldn't ask that question on this board. It'll get deleted as it could be a legally grey area.
    No it's not a legally grey area. The games are region coded, so US games will not work on a european console - trying to play them is quite legal, they just won't be accepted.

What is a legally grey area is modifying a console to bypass the region protection, and there are no such modifications on the market at the moment anyway.
    Why pay more than you have to?
  • Teak
    Teak Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Well asking a can I can't I question related to a grey area supposedly is enough to get thread deleted around here. Afterall, you might think it's not a grey area, but the BGs aren't lawyers.
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I have no intention of doing anything illegal, I am just a bit thick when it comes to techy stuff, and have no idea whether they will actually work, that's all. Thanks though for your replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure