We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Parking Tickets Query

clio
clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
Did the law with parking tickets change when the local councils took it over??
at one time it was an offence to drive off whilst ticket was being written out.now your within your rights to drive away if parking ticket bloke is still writing the ticket out and is not place ont he windscreen. if so no wonder the bloke kept me talking as i got to the car and he enquired if i was the owner, scribbling away as though his life depended on it. and i just felt he was stalling me. so can anyone fill me in..

Comments

  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It has changed, but you've not got it quite right.

    It used to be the case that the notice had to be handed to the driver or placed on the vehicle. You were allowed to drive away, so that the notice could not be served. However, you were not allowed to prevent the officer serving by say, taking a part-completed notice from him or by obstructing him.

    Since March/April this year, however, if you drive away, they are allowed to serve by post.

    If you HAVE received a notice, though, it's not necessarily correct, and my advice would be to seek the assistance of the members of the forums at https://www.pepipoo.com who are knowledgeable on such matters.
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Thanks sarah
    so he was correct and i,m not correct lol.. 6 minutes over on my ticket and it,ll cost me £30 if payed in quickly. if people served you quicker in shops i would of made it back. but then again i could say i should of stuck an extra hour on to be on safe side.
  • Hi,

    I'm looking for some help with a parking fine I luckily obtained today and wondered if anyone had an example appeal letter and/or advice.

    I today nipped to my local town with my mum to do a lilttle shopping.

    When I was returning to my car I spotted the Traffuic Warden 2 cars away from mine, moving away and my heart sank, especially when I noticed the lovely yellow envelope stuck to my windscreen. Two onlookers told me that he had only just left my vehicle.

    I opened the yellow envelope and got out my paid parking ticket and there was exactly five minuites lapse between the two tickets.

    I quickly went to the grumpy old man who wasnt intersted and mearly pointed out that 5 minutes late is 5 minutes late.

    The annoying thing is it would have took him some time fill in the information on his hand held machine, so he must have done this in advance,in order for the time to be exactly 5 minutes.

    The fine is £50 or £25 if paid within 14 days of which I think is extortionate.

    Admitted I should have come back even earlier but the frustrating part is that I out one pound in the parking machine as did not have any other change, the fee for one hour was 60p, these machines do not give change nor do they stipulate what you have paid.

    Any advise please as I am to contest.

    Many Thanks

    :mad:
  • Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Emskin74 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I'm looking for some help with a parking fine I luckily obtained today and wondered if anyone had an example appeal letter and/or advice.

    I today nipped to my local town with my mum to do a lilttle shopping.

    When I was returning to my car I spotted the Traffuic Warden 2 cars away from mine, moving away and my heart sank, especially when I noticed the lovely yellow envelope stuck to my windscreen. Two onlookers told me that he had only just left my vehicle.

    I opened the yellow envelope and got out my paid parking ticket and there was exactly five minuites lapse between the two tickets.

    I quickly went to the grumpy old man who wasnt intersted and mearly pointed out that 5 minutes late is 5 minutes late.

    The annoying thing is it would have took him some time fill in the information on his hand held machine, so he must have done this in advance,in order for the time to be exactly 5 minutes.

    The fine is £50 or £25 if paid within 14 days of which I think is extortionate.

    Admitted I should have come back even earlier but the frustrating part is that I out one pound in the parking machine as did not have any other change, the fee for one hour was 60p, these machines do not give change nor do they stipulate what you have paid.

    Any advise please as I am to contest.

    Many Thanks

    :mad:


    Hi,

    Was this on a private or council car park or road??

    If it was a private one such as a shop or shopping centre car park just ignore it as it isn't enforceable.

    If it was a council car park or road or a railway station or a police issued ticket then they are enforcible. However you can appeal.

    See the pepipoo website - there is a link in a post above for more details.

    Pete
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    "If it was a council car park or road or a railway station or a police issued ticket then they are enforcible."

    They must get their wording absolutely spot-on, and the parking spaces/bays/road must be correctly marked.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.