Bradford & Bingley shareholders strike back!

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    paulboy83 wrote: »
    Didn't the Chief exec of Icesave say the same thing a few days before they went down??

He sure did, the lying bar-steward.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bazster wrote: »
    He sure did, the lying bar-steward.

I heard him on the radio. I generously put his hesitancy and general lack of confidence down to the language barrier/accent. But no, it was because he was talking (lying?) through his tightly clenched teeth!
  • TypeR
    TypeR Posts: 117 Forumite
    Sorry, going along with everyone else here, you picked the wrong company at the wrong time - I mean seriously B&B Buy to Let Bubble inflator - how long has the housing market been in decline now? And then Northern Rock situation who were in to sub prime loans.

How you didn't see this coming is seriously beyond me, and I don't know much about banking,shares,investments.
  • A^S
    A^S Posts: 16 Forumite
    Anyone listening to radio4 this morning ? The B&B shareholder, while displaying a great deal of ignorance himself, suggested Vince Cable knew nothing about how shares work. The arrogance was astounding. While I have sympathy for anyone who has lost money - it is a risky business investing in shares. Especially investing in bank shares when the banking sector is in chaos.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    guppy wrote: »
    I heard him on the radio. I generously put his hesitancy and general lack of confidence down to the language barrier/accent. But no, it was because he was talking (lying?) through his tightly clenched teeth!

He did me a big favour: I heard that interview and immediately took my dosh out of Icesave.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am a B&B shareholder and the shares are worth exactly what I paid for them - nothing. There was someone from the Shareholders Association (or something like that) up against the mighty Vince Cable on the Today Programme and bleating that B&B shareholders should get compensation. The Shareholders Association guy did not appear to notice that his two arguments - that the B&B directors should cough up for carrying through a misleadingly optimistic rights issue when the company was on the rocks or that Brown and co should pay because they nationalised a going concern - were entirely contradictory. Cable correctly pointed out the risks that go with investing in equities and that if the government had not intervened there would inevitably have been a run on the bank. B&B would have collapsed and further weakened the banking system. People who have lost money with a punt on B&B or NR shares or who have put their money in an offshore account of a foreign bank just have to accept that they have made a mistake and that they should not be bailed out by the British government and taxpayers.
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    A useful equation:

B&B = NRock = 0

i.e. worthless
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
  • TypeR
    TypeR Posts: 117 Forumite
    apt wrote: »
    I am a B&B shareholder and the shares are worth exactly what I paid for them - nothing. There was someone from the Shareholders Association (or something like that) up against the mighty Vince Cable on the Today Programme and bleating that B&B shareholders should get compensation. The Shareholders Association guy did not appear to notice that his two arguments - that the B&B directors should cough up for carrying through a misleadingly optimistic rights issue when the company was on the rocks or that Brown and co should pay because they nationalised a going concern - were entirely contradictory. Cable correctly pointed out the risks that go with investing in equities and that if the government had not intervened there would inevitably have been a run on the bank. B&B would have collapsed and further weakened the banking system. People who have lost money with a punt on B&B or NR shares or who have put their money in an offshore account of a foreign bank just have to accept that they have made a mistake and that they should not be bailed out by the British government and taxpayers.

You INVESTED
    IceSave/Kaupthing Customers are DEPOSITORS

BIG difference my friend.
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    I told my MIL to sell her B&B shares when they were over £3. She didn't and her attitude is that they cost nothing, I've had good dividends so I've lost nothing.

I told my BIL not to touch the rights issue with a bargepole and he's since thanked me.

My point is that if I, as a layman, can see that a business is going down the pan, why can't the OP? He had a bet (not an investment) on a company which was flashing warning signals all over the place and has the balls to come on here and whinge about losing his money. Pathetic.
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    cogito wrote: »
    I told my MIL to sell her B&B shares when they were over £3. She didn't and her attitude is that they cost nothing, I've had good dividends so I've lost nothing.

I've never understood this sort of thinking. It seems obvious to me that's she's lost £750 plus.

We got this same sort of wooly thinking when HBOS was going down the pan
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills