🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best Place for my savings now?

Options

Comments

• blondieleopard
    Options
    I had 35k in icici...but that is now winging its way back to LLoyds...
    Lloyds have a promo for 6% but may be closing anytime...
    if you are over 50...(sorry ) Coventry building society have an esaver for 6.25%...but reduces after one year...but then could look around for something else...
    I think that we are all in this position...I for one will never keep my money out of UK again..
    good luck
  • wazaaap123
    Options
    at times like these it is a good bet to buy gold.

keep the cash out of the banks.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Same here - mine should arrive from my ICICI account tomorrow. I will be glad to see it!

I think that B&B are easiest for me as I have an account with them already (instant savings) and they are now backed by Santander.

I suppose in some ways this is all good for UK Plc, as all the money we had abroad is coming back in tranches over the coming months, as people will trust banks abroad less now.

Wazaap - how can the average person buy gold? I have an account with Hargreaves Lansdown - what would my next step be? I am definately happy to diversify given the current situation.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that B&B are easiest for me as I have an account with them already (instant savings) and they are now backed by Santander.

I had an account with B&B earlier this year and I'm sure I left £1 in there to keep it 'open' should I ever need it again. Maybe I should check it out ;)

Are all the log-in details the same or has it all changed since Santander took over?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Chameleon - yes -you just need to give them a new password I think. I also left a few pennies in there, lucky I did.
    MFW #185
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wazaaap123 wrote: »
    at times like these it is a good bet to buy gold.

keep the cash out of the banks.
    Terrible advice. Someone looking for a savings account is unlikely to be an appropriate person to whom you should recommend commodity speculation, as these are at near opposite ends of the risk scale.

Now, if you wanted to buy up some gold as a small part of a diversified portfolio, that could be achieved by purchasing units of a commodity ETF on a site like Selftrade. However, it would almost certainly be a bad idea to replace savings accounts with gold purchases.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    These are bad times for savers. The demise of icesave and kaupthing has removed some competitive pressure on interest rates between the top paying banks. Now with a 0.5% cut in interest rates I expect the best buys to disappear as soon as LIBOR dips. Also the only safe accounts are the ones paying poor rates!
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Aah, *sigh of relief* my ICICI stoozing cash has arrived today, so I have promptly set up a transfer to B&B (is it just me or is it really annoying you have to log in to B&B and then 'get' th emoney from your linked account - I much prefer to make a transfer from my linked account!).

Aegis - have no fear, I am not risk averse, it's just that this particular thread relates to my savings query. I have shares, funds. SIPP etc. Nevertheless, not about to go out any buy bullions... might just re-examine the investments over the coming weeks. Can't speak for others on the thread, but sometimes for me the thought that taking *some* risk now would be worth it as in 10-20 years.
    MFW #185
  • ShallowStu
    Options
    So with cahoot, I'm relatively safe. HBOS a bit risky

I know the govt will protect it, but having to wait to get it back could be a problem
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aah, *sigh of relief* my ICICI stoozing cash has arrived today, so I have promptly set up a transfer to B&B (is it just me or is it really annoying you have to log in to B&B and then 'get' th emoney from your linked account - I much prefer to make a transfer from my linked account!).

Glad your cash arrived ok! Just a reminder to check which B&B account you have as their current top payer is the internet saver issue 3. Discovered mine was an older account so have applied for the issue 3 account this morning.

Also noticed Tesco <spit> are doing an internet saver at 6.50% but I'm sure that's also an RBS product ;)

Have you decided which ISA to open yet? I've been looking at Scottish Widows as it's currently offering 6.25% and allows transfers in, and as a LTSB product it should be 'safe'!
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport