Starting up a gardening business

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz MoneySaving
14 replies 19.5K views
TomandBarbaraTomandBarbara Forumite
274 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz MoneySaving
My partner is thinking about starting up a small gardening business. He's been out of work for year due to personal circumstances and at the moment is just working one day a week cash in hand. He's now got another small gardening project but its in another town so he's got a bit of mileage to cover but at the moment as he's still a bit unsure about whether to go for it he's happy doing it.

How is it best to advertise himself? He really isn't very confident despite being a really good honest and hard working person who can do a decent job! Can I advertise him on here anywhere?

Replies

• olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    suzynick wrote: »
    My partner is thinking about starting up a small gardening business. He's been out of work for year due to personal circumstances and at the moment is just working one day a week cash in hand. He's now got another small gardening project but its in another town so he's got a bit of mileage to cover but at the moment as he's still a bit unsure about whether to go for it he's happy doing it.

How is it best to advertise himself? He really isn't very confident despite being a really good honest and hard working person who can do a decent job! Can I advertise him on here anywhere?
    The first answer is word of mouth is the best advert and that he should concentrate advertising in the areas he already is working in to save on hassle. Where did the people who have offered he work find him?

The second answer is no as it's against the boards rules.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • TomandBarbaraTomandBarbara Forumite
    274 Posts
    ✭✭
    olly300 wrote: »
    The first answer is word of mouth is the best advert and that he should concentrate advertising in the areas he already is working in to save on hassle. Where did the people who have offered he work find him?

The second answer is no as it's against the boards rules.

Hiya

I actually found both people! Our local freecycle groups have a freecycle cafe and quite often people have put posts on looking for gardeners. Unfortunately most don't bother to reply to you when you respond but two did. No word of mouth has been passed yet though. I can't 'advertise' him on freecycle though I have noticed people are 'advertising' by adding their website addresses etc to the bottom of their 'other' posts! Grrrrrrrr.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about some cheap computer generated flyers.. and then hand post them around the area he wants the work.. also a short message on his van (if he has one) with phone number ..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    274 Posts
    ✭✭
    tanith wrote: »
    How about some cheap computer generated flyers.. and then hand post them around the area he wants the work.. also a short message on his van (if he has one) with phone number ..

Yes I think some flyers would maybe do the trick. Though half the cheap flyers we get I normally just chuck in the bin as there are so many gypsy people who come round. Sadly no van yet still in the very early stages.
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with doing work like gardening, handyman, etc., is that people won't want to pay the money he needs to be able to earn. Once he is up and running, he'll have a vehicle to pay for and run, equipment to buy, repair & replace, business insurance, etc, and of course he needs to earn enough in the dry days to cover the non-earning wet days. The average OAP won't want to pay more than £10 per hour, but he really needs to earn twice that as a minimum to cover his overheads. What he'd need to do is try to get the more lucrative work, i.e. gardening for those who work all day (i.e. money rich and time poor) where he is more likely to be paid a more realistic hourly rate. Sad to say, but OAPs aren't the way to go.
  • vivatifosivivatifosi Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great point Pennywise. OP, how about looking in the local paper and seeing where all the most expensive houses are and leafleting those areas? Alternatively, and this might be easier when and if he's set up, work out where the big private estates are. I live on one and we have a communal gardener. You could get a regular contract for a couple of hundred pounds a month that way.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Have you tried the Gumtree website? I advertise on there, its free and its by far the most fruitful form of advertisement ive made. I flyered about 500 houses and didnt get one enquiry!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted a gardener I would probably look in the newsagents window. I know that's where a lot of people with help in the home/garden have got theirs where I live.

274 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the replies.
  • Try joining https://www.landscapejuice.ning.com. We are a member on there and whilst we do have our own website already this gives you a web presence for no outlay other than a domain name to redirect to your page.

All the businesses on there have been where you are now and will offer advice and support. There are also spreadsheets to calculate what you need to earn to make a profit.

It really is the best site for gardeners and landscapers and when coupled with the free advice from Business Link you could do a lot worse

We are not affiliated to the site in any way other than as another member and I really would recommend that you join.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides