Can my UK xbox360 play US bought games?

Options
Hi folks,

I was just looking at the US amazon site and looked through the US xbox 360 titles. Some of them were around 50 dollars thats 30quid plus say a few pounds for postage. Seems a little cheaper but (a) will they work and (b) how much customs tax will I have to pay???

May not be worth my while, I dunno ... I just thought to see what you folks in here think about it?

Ta

Jules
Grocery Challenge 2008
Jan £103.17/£180, Feb £47.06/£120
£10 per day Challenge 2008
Jan 08 £17.64/£140 (Late start and lost the plot!!!)

Comments

• tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Answer to b: When ever anything comes from CD-WOW, it has to be under about £17 to get through customs without having customs tax paid, so it is probably the same for Xbox games.

This is why when you order 2 CD's from CD-WOW at, for example, £12 each, they will come in seperate packets to get through customs.
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    (A) I would of thought they would not work like if you buy Japanese or USA PS2 games the computer recognises that it is not a PAL game but may be wrong as I don't have a 360 yet

(B) CD-WOW pay customs duty for you so you don't get stuck with the bill, I purchased a few PSP games from them before the UK PSP was released and there was a sticker on the parcel by CD-WOW saying that they have paid the duty on the item for me. I think it states it on the T&C's but cannot remember
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    There was a post a few weeks ago asking the same but the other way around, US xbox 360 being ok with UK games.

I think the poster found that it would not work.

I have read that Microsoft have built in security at the hardware level into the 360 so people cannot create Xbox media centres and play copied/backed up games or games not for your country.

Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • jpe20
    jpe20 Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks,
    Thanks for the tips.
    I am not too worried about the NTSC thing as my telly will handle the signal. Though it's probably true that theres region security built in. As I am not sure I'll avoid the US games as the savings are not huge and theres the extra hassle of dealing overseas.
    Think I'll go with rpoints and play.com for the games I want.
    Nice to know that cd-wow includes the customs charge so I'll bear that in mind for the future.

Thanks again
    Jules
    Grocery Challenge 2008
    Jan £103.17/£180, Feb £47.06/£120
    £10 per day Challenge 2008
    Jan 08 £17.64/£140 (Late start and lost the plot!!!)
  • Teak
    Teak Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    I'm suprised this thread hasn't been deleted. Surely talking about non-UK titles running on UK consoles is legally a grey area and not allowed on this board. Only in July was a 22yr old jailed for modifying Xbox's do do actually that.
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's the same as DVD's with region coding isn't it ?
  • Teak
    Teak Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, cannot answer. Those types of questions are a no no on this board.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    I think we are ok talking about this stuff as articles and highlighted entries the the weekly e-mails refer to multi region dvd players, similar sort of area - circumventing region coding.

Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teak wrote:
    Sorry, cannot answer. Those types of questions are a no no on this board.
    I think it's a grey area. I don't think there is anything illegal about playing a game/dvd from another country. However selling a copied game/dvd is.

One thing to consider though is that many games consoles require the hardware to have a special chip soldered into it to allow it to play games from dirrerent countries. Fixing this chip into your games console will make your warranty invalid as you have tampered with it.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teak wrote:
    I'm suprised this thread hasn't been deleted. Surely talking about non-UK titles running on UK consoles is legally a grey area and not allowed on this board. Only in July was a 22yr old jailed for modifying Xbox's do do actually that.
    I think the problem there was the were modifying the xboxs and then selling them, openly promoting the fact that they can play copied games.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure