Advice re: relief work.

Options
Please could someone give me some advice on a job that I am thinking of taking as a relief dinnerlady.It is relief work only to start with unless someone leaves.
My problem is that I am on benefits and need to know if it is worth taking this job or looking for a better paid job.
The hours could vary from 1hr to 10 hrs per week or none if cover is not needed.
I don't claim benefits in my own name as my OH claims them as he is disabled.
The benefits we receive are -
High rate mobility allowance
Low rate care
Incapacity benefit
Income support.
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    sharlotte wrote: »
    Please could someone give me some advice on a job that I am thinking of taking as a relief dinnerlady.It is relief work only to start with unless someone leaves.
    My problem is that I am on benefits and need to know if it is worth taking this job or looking for a better paid job.
    The hours could vary from 1hr to 10 hrs per week or none if cover is not needed.
    I don't claim benefits in my own name as my OH claims them as he is disabled.
    The benefits we receive are -
    High rate mobility allowance
    Low rate care
    Incapacity benefit
    Income support.
    Thanks for any advice.

Its likely that you will be allowed to keep the first £20 of any earnings in any given week,the rest will be deducted from your joint I/S claim
  • sharlotte
    Options
    We receive £38.40 I/S so I'm not sure whether the job will be worthwhile financially. If I were to work a full week I would earn £60 which means I would lose all our I/S which would then have a knock on effect regarding council tax benefit etc.
    I would like to take the job but I need to work out the pro's and con's first.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sharlotte wrote: »
    We receive £38.40 I/S so I'm not sure whether the job will be worthwhile financially. If I were to work a full week I would earn £60 which means I would lose all our I/S which would then have a knock on effect regarding council tax benefit etc.
    I would like to take the job but I need to work out the pro's and con's first.
    £38.40 sounds low for a couple one of whom is disabled???:confused:
    If thats correct then i would be very careful about taking a job that some weeks would pay more than that and some weeks nothing,it would really complicate your claim
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe there is other income like a pension reducing the Income Support? Hmm.
  • sharlotte
    Options
    Our income is -
    Income Support - £38.40
    Incapacity Benefit - £93.40
    D.L.A. - £64.50
    Making a total of £196.30 per week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing