Confusion over comparisons

Options
Trick
Trick Posts: 35 Forumite
I have been trying to do a cost comparison for my Electric (energyhelpline) - but whenever i enter in the details of the plan i am on (to see if i can make any savings) - and then click on the link that says "show your current plan details" - they never tie up to what i am being billed.

I was on Sign Online V4.0 with nPower, but that changed to Electricity Standard from 23rd July.

But the unit costs it tells me are nothing i recognise, not from my update unit costs to any of my previous ones?

Weird. How can i rely on the cost comparison?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Does it matter what tariff you were on, or indeed are on?

Simply enter your kWhs and say you are on BG standard tariff. It will then list the cheapest tariffs - which is the point of the excercise.
  • Trick
    Options
    well yes i think it does - if its comparing my current costs to a new cost, then i want to be sure im saving money, or if transferring will cost me more - that is the point of the exercise.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I understand that.

However when you get the cheapest tariff available, you can get all the details of prices per kWh and discounts etc on that tariff and easily compare with your current tariff.

I am no fan of comparison sites, but they are a useful tool as long as you enter kWh.

So if you use, say, dual fuel, pay by DD, for 20,500/3,300kWh gas/electricity on your current tariff, you can work out to a penny the cost - it is just simple arithmetic.

Then compare your figure with the cheapest the comparison site shows.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Trick wrote: »
    I have been trying to do a cost comparison for my Electric (energyhelpline) - but whenever i enter in the details of the plan i am on (to see if i can make any savings) - and then click on the link that says "show your current plan details" - they never tie up to what i am being billed.

I was on Sign Online V4.0 with nPower, but that changed to Electricity Standard from 23rd July.

But the unit costs it tells me are nothing i recognise, not from my update unit costs to any of my previous ones?

Weird. How can i rely on the cost comparison?
    May I ask why you were changed from SoL4 to Standard in July? Surely the standard tariff was more expensive.
  • Trick
    Options
    May I ask why you were changed from SoL4 to Standard in July? Surely the standard tariff was more expensive.

I have no idea - they sent me a letter saying they were changing me to the standard plan due to cost increases etc. and yes it is more expensive.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Trick wrote: »
    I have no idea - they sent me a letter saying they were changing me to the standard plan due to cost increases etc. and yes it is more expensive.
    I asked this question because I am on SoL 10 and they have made veiled threats that if I wanted to continue to receive the low prices I should sign up to paperless bills, the inference being that if I did not then they could switch me to the standard tariff. I am surprised you did not complain.
  • Trick
    Options
    i presumed they were allowed to switch my plan...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure