DLA Medical Services

Options
Early in 2006 AtosOrigin who provide the DWP Medical Services will begin using Highly Qualified Professionals (HCPs) to assess claimants for DLA and Incapacity Benefit Assessments. Because the protocols are now computer based LIMA they feel they can get away with staff that are less qualified.

They are also now inviting DLA customers to be examined in purpose built examination rooms rather than at home. You will still be given the option of a home visit.

They will be closing some of the current Medical Centres but aim to select customers who are able to get to the center using public transport in 9O minutes.
My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs

Comments

• johannamse
    Options
    Oh God...I bet there will be loads more rejections for arbitrary reasons by people who have no idea. Will they not even be medically trained?
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Dont get me started on these assessments!

I went to one in October and failed it.

The questions were not applicable whatsoever to my condition and as a result I scored 0 and was deemed fit for work and incapacity benefit stopped even though my doctor says I am not fit for work as does anyone that sees me regularly
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    It might be really helpful to others if hjb could give some details, in general terms, about how their condition makes them unfit for work and why DLA would not take their symptoms into account.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    It might be really helpful to others if hjb could give some details, in general terms, about how their condition makes them unfit for work and why DLA would not take their symptoms into account.
    You can get an idea of the IB test descriptor statements here IB test calculator
    There are many conditions for it it is blindingly obvious that the person cannot go out to work but which do not match the test descriptor statements resulting in Null points.
    Imagine you had Psoriasis so badly that you couldn't bear the touch of cloth on your skin and every half an hour you had to apply cream.
    Now go through the test calculator and see how many points you would score.
    The fact that you can do all the tests perfectly well naked doesn't in fact prove that you are employable.
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    just done the test 43 for physical and 6 for mental
    is this a pass score?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    donnalove wrote:
    just done the test 43 for physical and 6 for mental
    is this a pass score?
    Where it says Select one you tick that box then when you get to the bottom of the page it will tell you the score

however if you haven't found the score maybe you didn't tick the boxes
    Scores Physical: 43 Mental: 6 Claim Status: SUCCESS

See
    A guide to the personal capability assessment for more details.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options

I have chronic fatigue syndrome. This is like ME and involves severe fatigue, very frequent migraines and more.

Some days I can feel alright but the capability assessment does not account for conditions such as CFS/ME
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    The links provided by Ted are extremely useful. I've just done the test and my score indicates I am not fit to work. I'm still working, with a very few adjustments.
    This doesn't mean that the test is useless it means that I'm a very determined person who is not prepared to merely be a collection of symptoms. I'm up for any treatment that will help me improve and keep me well and some of the stuff I do to acheive that is hard work and I'd rather spend my time doing other things.
    I wonder what treatment the OP is having, for instance for migraines. I do understand that CFS and ME can be debilitating but unfortunately fatigue can't be objectively measured.
    It's always worth appealing.
  • thehermit
    Options
    Dont even get me started on the medical. I suffered a breakdown and now I cant even leave the house, yet I failed the medical. The "doctor" who came talk to me twisted my responses and ensured I didnt score enough points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure