We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mondeo owners - sat navs and heated windscreen?
Hope someone can help me. I could do with getting a sat nav system for my 03 Mondeo as I keep getting sent all over the place with work.
A friend recommended Navman 40 last year so I duly trotted off and got one from Halfords. Reading through the instructions in the car park it said it might not work with heated windscreens so I took it back. Didn't try it as I thought I might not be able to return it if I did that. Wouldn't have been faulty just unsuitable for my car.
Anyway has technology moved on? Does anyone on here have a non-Ford sat nav which works with their Mondeo heated windcreen without requiring a special extra arial? Or do you know someone who has?
Any recommendations please?
Cheers
A friend recommended Navman 40 last year so I duly trotted off and got one from Halfords. Reading through the instructions in the car park it said it might not work with heated windscreens so I took it back. Didn't try it as I thought I might not be able to return it if I did that. Wouldn't have been faulty just unsuitable for my car.
Anyway has technology moved on? Does anyone on here have a non-Ford sat nav which works with their Mondeo heated windcreen without requiring a special extra arial? Or do you know someone who has?
Any recommendations please?
Cheers
0
Comments
-
It's a general limitation of the metallic heated screens, and one I doubt sat nav manufacturers will ever overcome.
Best way is to use a GPS antenna. The GPS antennas I've seen are small black things smaller than a pack of matches and magnetic with a long thin cable. Possibly the best way to route this would be underneath the A pillar trim up the driver's side, then all the way across to the boot through the weather trim and placed on the roof.0 -
The Mondeo elements stop well short of the extremity of the screen, my Tom Tom Go works fine on the driver's side corner away from the elements. The Focus heating element is tighter to the side of the car and does suffer problems more.
Dont spend out on external aerials until you have got one and tried it.Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!
There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.0 -
my tom tom works in every car ive tried it in, some cars just take longer to get its lock, but once its got it, its fine
mine even works in the glove box!0 -
Thanks anewman,kitchpoo and hewhoisnotintheknow. That's great.0
-
ask some mates to try theirs in yours, or explain your concern to halfords etc0
-
We have an 03 Mondeo and an 07 Mondeo and we have used 2 different models of Tom Tom with no problems at all.0
-
Also no probs with an older Tom-Tom1 in a 55 Mondeo, but I must admit that I haven't tried it with the heated screen switched on????0
-
We have an old Garmin i3 and its fine with our 05 mondeo screen on or off
0 -
No problems with Tomtom, Garmin or Navman in Mondeos or Focus. The only problems come with very old sat-navs or cars with metallic film through the screen, not the wires.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
I've had no problems using Tom Toms or Garmins in my sisters MINI that has a heated screen.The man without a signature.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
